Picked up my first lathe today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmoorphil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice given previously on getting a lathe.
I was just about to buy a jet 1221 when I got the chance of a wivamac.
Took a nice long 10 hour return drive up north today to collect it but it was well worth the journey.
I got a wivamac db801 variable speed complete with stand and also bought a chuck and a load of chisels with it.
These lathes are beautiful beasts and i couldn't believe how quiet and smooth it was.
My son is going to help me rearrange my workshop on Saturday so I can get it in place and hopefully I will be able to start learning. I just can't believe I got such a quality lathe for little more than a Chinese import. The engineering is absolutely top class and I am so excited to start using it.
I look forward to joining in on the woodturning forum and becoming better acquainted with you all.
I'll post some pics once I get it in place.
Regards,
Phil

Good luck with it. I waited 55 years before getting a lathe, but making up for lost time now.

Hi Phil,You have got a good lathe there,if that was the one in the Newcastle area I was tempted myself,enjoy.
Alan

Hi Alan,
It was - had to travel up to Sunderland for it.
The chap selling it had loads of phone calls so he was pleased I went up early so he could finally tell people it was gone.
I was just sorry that I didn't have any more money as he had loads of pen blanks, clock mechanisms etc but I had reached my budget limit after the chuck and chisels.
He showed me a couple of segmented bowls he had turned and they were beautiful. It was such a shame that he couldn't continue turning but it's going to be well loved here! Desperate to get into the workshop tonight but my wife is recovering from an op and immobile at the moment so I need to stay in and look after her - it is Valentines day after all :wink:

As a completely unbiased enormously happy Wivamac owner ... who "upgraded£ to one from a very old (but good for what it did) "first step" tool ... I think you have a serious quality bit of kit ... that like buying any "good" tool for the job will last you and deliver "for the foreseeable" ... just like a "quality" bench plane or chisel or whatever will ... "buy cheap, buy twice" isn't always easy to achieve, but is true ...

Hi guys,
Sorry I didn't get back as promised.
My wife had an op on her foot at the end of January and I seriously underestimated just how much I would need to help her out as well as looking after the house, kids and dogs.
Plaster finally comes off next week but still 8 weeks of immobility after that, then I might be able to give it some use.
I did get it in place (and destroyed my back in the process) and then bought a Robert Sorby Pro Edge Plus which is just the bees knees. Took me a couple of hours playing to get a dozen chisels reshaped and perfectly sharp, and can now quickly sharpen them in less than a minute. Its a great bit of kit and not the rip off I first thought.
I have managed to turn two very small sycamore bowls and a small mahogany plate and produced a few useless shapes from playing with it. Not managed more than a couple of hours on it though but will get up to speed once my wife is mobile again. First impressions are WOW! rock solid, super quiet and beautifully controllable I cant wait to see just what I can do with this machine. Can't imagine having to ever upgrade so I was really lucky to have found this one.
Eventually I will get round to posting some pics! Just need lots more sleep and more days in the week so I can catch up.
Phil

It was 22 years ago when I purchased my first lathe and your thread has brought back all the excitement!

I sincerely hope that you continue enjoying the wonderful world of woodturning.

I feel sure I speak for all in saying that we look forward to viewing images of your obsession!

Regards, Peter.

Dead right. I only started 18 months ago. Got the lathe shortly before Xmas 2012 and it was freezing in the garage. My very understanding wife allowed the assembly to take place in our kitchen/family room, taking pity on the temperature of +2 in the garage. I had the lathe working by about lunchtime on day 1 and then spent a very happy month....yes month, learning how to throw a skew around the place!

She finally vanquished it to its rightful location after a fine layer of dust got noticed on the Xmas tree :)

So I really get the excitement thing with a new lathe...its the gateway to a completely different art form that springs from a natural love of wood and yet is totally different from building furniture. Its just NOT square in any way....that fundamental difference coupled with the fact you can have a finished piece in a relatively short time makes it very rewarding (and addictive).

I look forward to pics Phil. Don't be shy either, just post away.

Back