Photos of tools for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNight

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the photos!
Festool CTL MIDI

MAFELL KSP55F + 1.6M Guide Rail

Metabo SDS Drill

Ryobi SCMS + Foilding Stand

[/img]

This was supposed to go in my previous post! Various tools for sale
And my pictures don't seem to be coming up!!

Your linking to your hard drive, you need to upload the photos to photobucket or similar than do what you've done with the link pointing to your photobucket album.

Yep.. That's the one thing that annoys me a bit.

I belong to another Forum (On a different subject than woodwork btw!) and that forum allows linking from personal hard-drive. Less chance of viruses that way.
Photobucket is a bit of a fiddle, but usually works fine, once you know which link you need in your post. The other problem with 'bucket and flickr, is the whole world can see your images, (which is my main objection) so I never put any 'tags' on my images. Also of course, it sometimes goes bump, and you lose the image on UKW!.

Just thought... If you make yourself a blog, most of the blogging sites allow images direct from your hard drive. Linking to your blog is straightforward, and anyone interested in your items needs only to click on the link in your post here. I think that would save a lot of space on the forum... But then again, what do I know! :lol:
John

:)

But if you link to your HD then people can only see the pics when your pooter is switched on, and I would guess that most people don't leave it on 24/7.

But I agree that the process should be easier. Not sure how, but bigger brains than mine can work it out :D

Benchwayze":3dy4q1h3 said:

I belong to another Forum (On a different subject than woodwork btw!) and that forum allows linking from personal hard-drive.

It might copy AKA upload from your hard drive.

I bet "lots" it doesn't link from your hard drive.

BugBear

Yeah okay BB!
A rose by any other name... etc.
I wouldn't take your bet.. :lol:
Upload/linking/posting...

Certainly more convenient than using 'bucket! :wink:

John

Benchwayze":tvil2igl said:

I belong to another Forum (On a different subject than woodwork btw!) and that forum allows linking from personal hard-drive. Less chance of viruses that way.

:)

Sorry John but its quite the opposite ie you have MORE chance of getting a virus and even a bigger chance of a hacker scanning your hardrive for any details of bank infomation ect,ect.

In a nutshell,you might as well give anyone and everyone access to your computer to fiddle with it. :)

George,

I appeciate your concern and thanks for that.
However, I learned about 'file-sharing' a long time ago and I decided it wasn't for me.

What I was referring to, as BB pointed out, was uploading images direct from my PC to a site. With my present router and firewall, it's a one-way process.

Also, I do my financial business on an entirely different machine, which isn't switched online until I need to conduct financial affairs. It's inconvenient in a way, but at least safe.

Thanks again,

John :wink:

TrimTheKing":1bgwp5c6 said:
But if you link to your HD then people can only see the pics when your pooter is switched on,

I don't think that's so Trim...
I have a friend in the States, who has clearly viewed my uploads whilst my 'Pooter' is off.

As BB said, the images are copied to the site, as they are to eBay for instance, and don't rely on a feed from another place. Precisely to prevent the hacking that George mentioned.

But I still use just a separate PC for my financial stuff!

Cheers..
John

Which internet provider are you with,John?

Virgin media allocate 20meg free space for their customers,this allows them to host their own site and upload pictures to it.

Just thought I'd let anyone know just in case they don't know about this?

Having established that the C drive on anyone's computer is never the source of pictures...(how could it be) and that the confusion arises from the difference between forums where linking is used (as in this and most others) and sites which also host the images by uploading them to their actual site (as in fleaBay)....I think it would be valuable to explain the difference.

In linking sites...the link stays...is just text and requires hardly any server space...and as long as the picture exists remotely...will display the picture.

In hosting sites...such as eBay...vast resources are used to temporarily host the pictures and after the end of the auction etc...they are deleted (usually 30 days). It would require HUGE space to keep them there.

So...hosting sites for forums are not at all common.

As has been said...some (most) service providers also provide space for hosting....mine does...but I prefer to host my own on my own purchased space....that is another option.

If you don't trust remote hosting (I don't know why you wouldn't)...then don't post pictures.....simples....

Jim

Benchwayze":2w2tg2zq said:
TrimTheKing":2w2tg2zq said:
But if you link to your HD then people can only see the pics when your pooter is switched on,

I have a friend in the States, who has clearly viewed my uploads whilst my 'Pooter' is off.

As BB said, the images are copied to the site, as they are to eBay for instance, and don't rely on a feed from another place. Precisely to prevent the hacking that George mentioned.

Cheers..
John
Yep, I thought you were talking about keeping the pics on the pc and linking to them (a la Photobucket) but you meant that you link to the pics on you HD but they then get pulled up and hosted by the site.

We're both correct in what we were understanding. :D

Benchwayze":11g21p9o said:
Also, I do my financial business on an entirely different machine, which isn't switched online until I need to conduct financial affairs. It's inconvenient in a way, but at least safe.
As long as you don't mind installing windows and AV updates each time...

I've been using DropBox for the past month actually and I never thought about it for hosting images to forums. Do they allow that?

I find it incredibly useful for working on documents wherever I am. No more do I have to carry around a 2.5" hard drive for just 200meg of files! (Ok, I know I could have carried a memory stick! ) :roll:

cambournepete":rjdj7qfo said:
Benchwayze":rjdj7qfo said:
As long as you don't mind installing windows and AV updates each time...

Why would I need to install Windows each time :?:
The AV updates are automatic too.
I switch it on, let it boot, make coffee then settle down to the work.

TrimTheKing":1mwpbg3p said:
Benchwayze":1mwpbg3p said:
TrimTheKing":1mwpbg3p said:

Cheers..
John
Yep, I thought you were talking about keeping the pics on the pc and linking to them (a la Photobucket) but you meant that you link to the pics on you HD but they then get pulled up and hosted by the site.

We're both correct in what we were understanding. :D
Yep Trim.. Crafty eh? :D

And George I am with AOL who do allow me space for a website, but I already have one for my artwork. Too many interests me! :lol:

ohn :wink:

wizer":28z3jns8 said:
I've been using DropBox for the past month actually and I never thought about it for hosting images to forums. Do they allow that?

Yep. For anything in the "Public" folder (or sub-folder): Right-click > Dropbox > Copy public link

Back