photo software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
My laptop with Photoshop has packed up .
Is there a good free down loadable alternative?

Think you will have fun downloading a laptop :
Gimp is good, although on the latest version they mave moved all the controls around so it takes a while to find anything.

You can get photoshop express which is a cut down version or you can get photoshop cc which is an ongoing subscription- not sure if that helps?

Thanks all.
Having a look at Gimp.
Found free download for CS2 but it wouldn't install on my mac mini.

It may be an old fashioned approach on a modern PC or Mac but I still use Google Picasa as a free picture organiser. It also includes editing tools for all the most useful functions - resizing, cropping, correcting colours and suchlike.
It's MUCH easier to use than a full-on professional tool like Gimp and (presumably) Photoshop.

Nikon NX-D is free if you use a Nikon and RAW files but it does work with limited functions for JPG, and +1 for Picasa

I get the full Adobe software free because I work for a University :D

Pete

Jacob":1tet12iy said:
Thanks all.
Having a look at Gimp.
Found free download for CS2 but it wouldn't install on my mac mini.

I have installed GIMP on my (works) MacMini (as well as my Linux boxes). Works fine. GImp is very powerful out of the box, and there are plenty of pluggins. I found the learning curve a little steep after PaintShop, but now just keep googling for answers and have managed to do everything I have needed to do. I have also learned enough to appreciate the possibilities opened up by all the complexity, but have yet to take advantage of these.

AndyT":3dzaf3dh said:
It may be an old fashioned approach on a modern PC or Mac but I still use Google Picasa as a free picture organiser. It also includes editing tools for all the most useful functions - resizing, cropping, correcting colours and suchlike.
It's MUCH easier to use than a full-on professional tool like Gimp and (presumably) Photoshop.

It's much harder to install on Linux! Wine?!

BugBear

Not free, but Pixelmator or Acorn are both good; each is about £20-odd, free trial downloads. Mac App store.

HTH Pete

+1 for Gimp.

If you want to organise photos as well as process them a bit, Corel Aftershot 2 is outstanding. It was bought by Corel as "Bibble" and renamed "Aftershot" after they'd owned it for a year, but it's been re-written extensively, and I think it's much better than it was (originally it was very good). It'll do photo corrections and retouching, and cataloguing. It's available from Corel for download (thety often have offers) for PC Mac and Linux. I've just switched to the Linux version from three earier versions of Bibble and one as Corel Aftershot. It's a lot less complex than Photoshop as it's intended for retouching, not wholesale mucking about. That said i find it extremely fast and effective. I think it's Adobe competitor is Lightroom, but I've never used that (don't like Adobe products much).

E.

PS: Happy to be a Microsoft-free household now. Not missing it so far.

It might be worth checking the adobe website because about a year ago they were advertising free downloads of all their software but the versions were 2 releases out of date. Now for me, using Elements that was excellent because I have no need to be bang up to date. Worth a try if you don't mind being about 4 years behind the current release.

Random Orbital Bob":200o4yx2 said:
they were advertising free downloads of all their software but the versions were 2 releases out of date.
Just to be clear, the CS2 downloads are for existing licence holders, they aren't "free".

Bob is right. They did do that a while ago. We had a member of staff leave and she wanted the software and I sent her the link. I guess the offer has expired now.

No it seemed to be free and was well on the way to installing when it said there was a fault. I'll try again.
In the meantime I've worked out it'd be a good idea to buy a 2nd hand Macbook with the software already in. Mine is 2007 and getting past it. Ebay here I come!

Back