photo hosting site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Droogs":3733898b said:
I think Pete's comment is in regard to a lot of the build threads as a lot of them have images on PB.
For future pictures and projects it's fair enough - it is their business after all. For existing pictures and projects, it smacks of 'bait & switch' tactics - people put those threads together with the reasonable assumption that the images would be freely available for the foreseeable future.

Panoramio is a free photo hosting site owned by Google
HERE

If they liked your photo it would [with your permission] feature on Google Earth

Many of my pictures appeared on Google Earth
94406386.jpg

Above photo taken 1970 -- Western Australia -- that's Cordy on the right

Now they are in the process of closing it down

So; G/E is like P/B, nothing lasts for ever

John15":2tp7qwz4 said:
I use the down-sizing method to post photos on here. I find it a real pain hence I don't post many photos. Is there an quick way to down-size a photo?

John

One of the quickest ways (listed in the posting images sticky) is PhotoResize.exe

Fine if you don't want to do any other adjustments

Just rename the *.exe file to the size of image you want and drag your image to the exe file.
Resizer Folder.jpg

DSCN5967.JPG
DSCN5967-1024.jpg
DSCN5967-800.jpg
DSCN5967-480.jpg
DSCN5967-360.jpg

Attachments

• Resizer Folder.jpg
    Resizer Folder.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5967.JPG
    DSCN5967.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5967-1024.jpg
    DSCN5967-1024.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5967-800.jpg
    DSCN5967-800.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5967-480.jpg
    DSCN5967-480.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5967-360.jpg
    DSCN5967-360.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 38
There are loads of ways to resize photos but no single best way. It depends if you are using a camera or a phone. Camera will have settings so you can take small pics. Phone can do too, but this probably needs different software from the default Android or IOS app.
If you are working on a PC, I like Irfan View - it's a good free photo viewer with easy to use batch mode to resize/rename a bunch of pictures all in one go. There will be other options. Also online services.
But it all gets too complicated to describe if you sometimes use a phone on its own, sometimes with a PC and sometimes a camera + PC, like I do.

I am being told (not asked, politely) to update my account. What that means I have no idea. I can't find any information on how to do whatever it is they want me to do, so I guess it's goodbye to photobucket. Sooner or later the 'free internet' that was originally envisaged will be a utopian idea. and all hosting-sites will be charging a fee.

How long before some bright desk jockey at Whitehall decides we should have a PC licence, to replace the TV licence.

Interesting! We seem to live in a world where people think someone should host data continually, and for free, and by using ad blockers (which I do too), also prevent them from monetising the site. Why should anyone provide a free service?

I used to use a paid for service that hosted very large RAW files. Just after I renewed, they notified me that the service was being transferred to someone else - which did not impress me much. Seems you lose whether you pay or not. All of my photos are coming off the cloud and I will just be using my local drives backup hierarchy this year.

A few people have suggested that you (we) can just post pics from our computers straight to the forum pages.
But now I have been told that if you have your pics displayed this way, every one who looks at the pics uses your bandwidth to look at them on your machine.
That means a significant drop in available bandwidth for you to surf with. So that option is out for me as my internet connection is tenuous at the best of times.

I would not object too much to a fee, but the quoted 400 USD a year is a ridiculous amount for me. it works out about £10 a picture a year.
the search continues.

sunnybob":rfwpvpyy said:
A few people have suggested that you (we) can just post pics from our computers straight to the forum pages.
But now I have been told that if you have your pics displayed this way, every one who looks at the pics uses your bandwidth to look at them on your machine.
That means a significant drop in available bandwidth for you to surf with. So that option is out for me as my internet connection is tenuous at the best of times.

Incorrect bob, otherwise we'd not be able to see your pics unless your computer was on. When you attach a pic to your post it goes onto UKW servers, thats why theres a limit to the size of the pic as UKW's server slowly fills up more and more space is required.

Try it if you like. add pic to your next post. make sure its posted, then delete the picture from your computer (or just change the filename ) and then come bak and see if its still in your post.

sunnybob":3bh0tucg said:

Don't worry, that is not the case.

when you post from your computer to this site it is stored on the site server, the only bandwidth you use is the tiny bit for it to upload, just once.

sunnybob":2pxrqwlh said:

Misunderstanding there I suspect, what was suggested was that people who have their own PAID FOR web presence (Web Site) can link to the images on their server. {this is not your personal computer other than very rare instances) as an alternative to posting to the forum server.

It does still have an impact on bandwidth usage, and this is one of the parameters that determines the cost of your package.
But it has no bearing on your home Internet usage.

such as these images on my web site or This leaflet of Kims

There is still a potential problem with this if the Poster stops funding their web site and closes it down, which is why UKW started hosting images, some folks web sites disappeared and Hosting Sites closed down.

Heres a tip - Sign up for a Facebook account (you don't need to use real personal details :wink: )

When you add a picture to Facebook (you can choose who can see it, just you, just your 'friends' or the general public) it gets stored on their server for no money.

Facebook automatically reduces the size of the picture when it is uploaded, so not much good if you want to keep hi res images but fine for most of us mortals.

If you then want to share that picture on the forum or anywhere else and you do not have it on your pc anymore, you visit Facebook, locate your photo, and right click on it.

From there you can copy the address of the photo and paste that link, but I think that is only available to other Facebook users...

So better still choose download and download it back to your PC. That size image is fine for attaching to these forum pages. For example...

Facebook link to same photo

and attached pic from download

12885971_980606592022979_368602755800438041_o.jpg

Attachments

• 12885971_980606592022979_368602755800438041_o.jpg
    12885971_980606592022979_368602755800438041_o.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 98
Wood Monkey must be a paid up member over at PhotoBucket
LINK
I can't access my photos on there

Came across the thread while researching Axminster jointer Planer -- I'm looking for a second-hand one

PB are not storing your images for free if they are showing adverts. The payment comes from the advertisers.
Whether that's a good enough business model to make it pay is another matter of course.

-Neil

Really Fu@ked off with this, for the last 8 years have been sharing all aspects of my life with you guys, and in one fell swoop PB has torn this up!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

adidat

Their marketing manager is a genius. How else can he reduce memory storage problems more rapidly than getting rid of 95% of his "customers" in one day?
Be interesting to see how they justify their prices to their advertisers, when the captive audience has disappeared.

dont bother, the free account is closed automatically if 90 days elapse without useage.

Back