photo hosting site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the loss of build threads, reviews and tutorial type posts that bothers me the most. The forum is fun as a daily chat, but its real strength is the detailed wisdom collected over the years.

My damage limitation strategy goes like this:

- Download* each of my PB Albums, so I have the photos locally, with the random filename as allocated by PB and used within tags in the text of my posts.
- Transfer each album to another site.
- edit old posts where it matters or I care. I would do this by finding a post, clicking on Edit, copying all the text, and pasting it into Word. I would then run a carefully-crafted Word macro** which would search for each occurrence of the text [b]<photobucket.com><account name><folder path>[/b] and replace it with [b]<new site url><new account name><new folder path>[/b], save it as plain text and copy it back to the clipboard so I could re-paste it into the edit window.

So far, I have restored just one file, my avatar picture, now hosted on this site, where it belongs. At least I shan't be displaying PB's nasty little misleading image on every post I make.

* Photobucket traffic permitting. It was ok earlier but at present, their captcha authentications are expiring before their download script responds, which is not good. I guess users in other countries are doing the same thing.

** Macro not yet crafted. I used to be able to do that sort of thing but have not needed to for years. Help from more IT-literate users is welcomed.

If someone does create a macro for doing that please share. Id be willing to update my build threads for posterity.

Having to pay to see my own photos is blackmail!

Pete

Pete, while I agree emotionally, you should still be able to see your own photos by going to the PB site and logging on.

Free and freemium services are a bit weird all round - if I had paid for a middle of the range service I would be very cross - as a user of the free option I can hardly ask for my money back. But as a way to annoy all your current and potential customers, this change to the 'terms of service' does seem pretty much doomed to fail.

Maybe if the service worked impeccably, the software was a pleasure to use and the fee being asked for was reasonable, I'd pay, but trying to download stuff now reminds me of how buggy and unresponsive the main site is when it's working normally, so I really don't want to spend a moment more than I have to there.

As for the re-building elsewhere, I shan't be able to do anything about it for a week or two. Maybe they will fire the silly person who decided to do this and reverse the decision! Yeah, that's likely... :evil:

PS - I've been here before - my earliest posts had pictures at ImageShack - remember them? Thought not.

Same boat with P/B, I always found it slow anyway :(

I now use http://imgur.com/ which is quick, easy and free
Downside is it is also shared by zillions if young people who get away with using naughty words
they can be ignored of course

Venice this year

1VekE1eh.jpg

GbbkFH7h.png

mega easy to copy
just click 'copy' on 5th down Image Link

AndyT":1z98qstu said:
PS - I've been here before - my earliest posts had pictures at ImageShack - remember them? Thought not.

My woodworking bit 'n' bobs were on Geocities for a very long time!

BugBear

Just a test:-
Code:
[url=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/mahomo/media/41647308-ABDD-475E-9771-EF1162B9B2DE.jpg.html][img]http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/mahomo/41647308-ABDD-475E-9771-EF1162B9B2DE.jpg[/img][/url]

Code:
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/mahomo/41647308-ABDD-475E-9771-EF1162B9B2DE.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... B9B2DE.jpg

Looks like editing image links to just a PB url may still give thread access, although not as convenient it would be an easier way to edit existing threads.

There are free providers, and nearly free providers. I use Flickr for the images I don't care about, and Smugmug for everything else. The Smugmug Basic package is about $48 per year (about £37) and works great for anyone not in the business of selling prints.

Cordy if you don't want to share your images you can just use imgur as a host site. Don't click the 'share to community' or such option. Just upload your pics then get the Bbcode share link that you mention last to put your photos on here. That way they don't get entered into 'usersub' and you'll get no comments.
Granted you'll need to save the links in a browser favourites folder. I don't bother. If I click on an old pic of mine on here it will take me to the host page.
The thing with imgur is that it has a community of users who upvote/downvote pics. They comment on trending pics and have there own little community mannerisms and customs as many forums do. They accumulate points for good comments or content or lose it for the opposite. I browse the front page sometimes as a time waster if I have a while to waste at work etc. Most of it is banal and trite but you can get some interesting stuff on there too. In the same way as reddit it has subgroups such as woodworking. These two sites often overlap as imjur is often used by 'redditers' to host photos. A while back there was a QnA with Chris Schwarz on reddit. Like a lot of the internet it's filled with all sorts and weirdos but there's some gems in the muck.

Here's the Chris Schwarz link to the r/woodworking sub-reddit for any interested.
https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/co ... s_schwarz/

I think imgur like to promote themselves as an alternative friendly site. A bit 'zany' if you get my drift. But a while back they introduced advertising and these days you can't post pics from mobile anymore without installing the app. Bit like how all those revolutionary figures from the 60s ended up as establishment figures as the money got good. Yes Sir Jagger et al I'm looking at you. ;) Suppose it depends on how pragmatic your view of the world is eh? :D
Cheers
Chris

Anyway back on topic. Soz.

Huh, fancy that. I guess I'd better cough up and pay PB's ransom so that random people can go online to see photos of my shed.

Oh wait, I'm not actually that bothered. See you all over at Flickr ;)

Well for me this might work out quite well... been wanting more members for my Flickr tool groups :mrgreen: Though I feel for those who have to edit all their posts, real piain in the buttocks. Seems like a pretty rash move on PB's part, I would not be surposied if its hackers.

It would appear that right clicking any of the blocked image links and selecting 'open in new window, or 'open in new tab'
will take you to the original site, albeit with annoying advert windows which you have to click through before they will close.

I know my comments are likely to be unhelpful, but I think this will become a bigger issue as time moves on. I think, over the next few years, many people will prefer to store and share their information on a paid subscription basis. Nothing is truly "free".

I'd noticed lots of missing pictures.
AndyT":3im9wt9i said:
It's the loss of build threads, reviews and tutorial type posts that bothers me the most. The forum is fun as a daily chat, but its real strength is the detailed wisdom collected over the years...
When I first attempted to use photobucket, I couldn't figure out how to work it. As I'd an uneasy feeling about hosting pictures on a separate site, I didn't persist. I host my pictures on the site my posts are on. This can be a bit limiting (max 256kb on this site) but at least everything is in the one place.

Some people do wonderful work that I like to admire or learn from - but I've noticed that moving something over on photobucket can cause all the pictures disappear here (and other forums) making the documentation of a project much much less valuable/useful.

So my question is: is it worth moving to another hosting site? Won't they just do the same thing in a year or two?
And how long will the mods on this site allow back-editing? On the Aussie site the edit function only lasts 24 hours. When queried, a moderator claimed that was generous - more than most sites he frequented :shock: .

My playful suggestion that he must visit dodgy sites was not warmly welcomed :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

The disappearing pics on photobucket were purely down to owner moving pics around into different folders and albums. the source of the pics changed so they were no longer at the old address. I was as guilty of that as most for the first few years untill i worked out why they were disappearing. Plus of course photobucket removes any "account" that has had no hits in a 3 month period.

Trouble started on photobucket a couple months ago, with it getting harder and harder to stay on track of it. I suspect thats when they started this "upgrade"

I do accept everybody has to make a living, but to try to charge me well over £300 a year to post about 30 photos is just a bit too optimistic on their part.

TBH, you get what you pay for. Why anyone should expect any company to continue to provide a free service is beyond me. I strongly urge people not to go off and use another free site because that is just as likely to disappear at sometime in the future.

RogerS":1mdnwdmr said:
TBH, you get what you pay for. Why anyone should expect any company to continue to provide a free service is beyond me. I strongly urge people not to go off and use another free site because that is just as likely to disappear at sometime in the future.

Have you used Photobucket?

It's not fit for purpose let alone paying for.

It gradually got more and more advertisements and video until it's just about unusable.

Pete

I only really use photobucket so that I can post pictures on forums like this one. So for the time being I will not bother to post pictures using that method but make a copy and reduce the size so that it can be downloaded straight on to here.

Dalboy":3d3dcjuc said:
I only really use photobucket so that I can post pictures on forums like this one. So for the time being I will not bother to post pictures using that method but make a copy and reduce the size so that it can be downloaded straight on to here.

I use the down-sizing method to post photos on here. I find it a real pain hence I don't post many photos. Is there an quick way to down-size a photo?

John

Back