Philly's Stamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could just buy a plane from Phil - they come pre stamped :)

Cheers Mike

MrJay":jwo36cke said:
Indeed it would.

My guess is that the forums get very very little and the Spaminator is something of a cold war relic that, in these happy days of more relaxed administrative style and 'Report Post!' buttons, ought to be consigned to the history bin. It's a pretty lousy way to welcome new members in my book.

But I could be wrong.

I'm a mod on a different forum (same software) and we get huge amounts of spam.... Generally they have web sites or obscene pics, so I think the spamulator here is worthwhile and may be working overtime, for all we know......

NickWelford":3kjiek7q said:
I'm a mod on a different forum (same software) and we get huge amounts of spam.... Generally they have web sites or obscene pics, so I think the spamulator here is worthwhile and may be working overtime, for all we know......

That's my feeling but I have no idea whether it's the case. But anything that lightens the workload of the moderators has to be a good thing I think.

Cheers Mike

Obviously this isn't the best place, apologies to Darren for messing up his nice thread...

If the board was regularly (successfully) targeted by spam attacks we'd see some of it - and the members list would get more than a handful of new members a day. As far as I can tell Spaminator's only outward facing function is to bork links in new members' posts until someone comes along and fixes it back again - usually hours or days later. If Spaminator was saving us from hordes of bad spam, chances are we'd occasionally see it in action doing just that. I've been hanging round these parts for over a year and I've yet to see it do something useful in that time, other than making work for the mods reviewing and fixing legitimate posts, thus keeping them off my back :wink:

Presumably Spaminator does some behind the scenes stuff in making a list of posts it's broken, so a Mod can undo the mess it leaves behind. If spaminator is doing other good works behind the scenes, well there are other tools available that don't also come with the rather serious caveat of blindly attacking new member's posts. I host a forum elsewhere and would run a mile before employing something as blunt and unhelpful as spaminator and then target it specifically at new members - that's really quite poor form in the sense of usability and being all cosy and welcoming. It is canon in good web design that a website should not leave users feeling befuddled and wondering what they have done wrong.

If it has value it is that it is pre-emptive. Spaminator will attack posts just in case they are planning on developing nuclear weapons programmes, rather than waiting for any evidence of actual wrong doing. Granted, there's some logic to the approach, but it's a special dumb sort of logic and laughably easy to sidestep if you're so inclined by posting a couple of times.

I do however have a special fondness for the Report Post! button. It's an intelligent tool than selectively flags posts as containing unsuitable content. It's possible that users will come across undesirable stuff, but I reckon the Report Post! button probably plenty sufficient to manage the problem and largely renders Spaminator obsolete in the stakes of flagging and reporting posts - which only leaves it's role as a belt and braces tool for mindless pre-emptive strike; and I reckon it's doing rather more harm than good; regularly.

I still could be wrong - I have no special knowledge of the running of theses boards, but if I'm not it's probably about time (if they're not already) that the Mods give some thought to giving Spaminator a bit of a holiday.

I do not know if it is appropriate, but I was in Bristol Design yesterday buying old sharp things. One of the things I found was a complete set of old letter and number punches. I know that they do mail order so you might want ot give them a ring to find out how mcu they cost.

Back