Perform lathe belt changing ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst out in the workshop tonight giving the lathe it's monthly service (strip down,clean out and ptfe lube) it occured to me that the manual that came with it was..errr..very economical with information,and doesn't tell me how to change the drive belt.
Thanks to Chas,I now know who has (or had) a Perform lathe :lol: - so how do you change the belt ?
I'm guessing you need to remove the outside half of the top pulley ? (circlip and grub screws) - or am I completely wrong :?:

Andrew

HI

To remove and replace belt on a CCL or CCLB

firstly a word of warning DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO separate THE PLATES OR LEVER THE BELT AS THE PLATES ARE AS BRITTLE AS VERY THIN BALSA WOOD.

To remove
With the lathe running put in highest speed then stop and turn of the lathe. Gently ease the belt over the plates of the motor end whilst turning by hand. Once belt is off the motor end it is easy to remove from the other end.

To install
With the speed handle on the fastest speed and the lathe turned off loop the belt over the open pulleys on the spindle end. Then put the belt over the other end whilst turning by hand. Once the belt is in place stand to one side and turn lathe on and work through the speeds to make sure it is working properly.

A good lubricant to spray on the wheels is dry PTFE spray it is available from lots of places including screwfix.

Please remember no matter how tempted you are DO NOT USE ANYTHING TO separate THE PLATES THEY ARE AS BRITTLE AS VERY THIN BALSA WOOD.

Hope this helps

john

HI

Thanks for the welcome.

Whilst you are doing the clean up dont forget to grease the nipple on the end of the drive shaft it makes the thing run a lot quieter and smoother.

john

You need to remove the pulley with the pressure spring on with by removal of the circlip. the other pulley can then be opened and closed with the speed control. I do about 2 a month for customers. As pointed out earlier do not try and lever the pulley apart it will snap.

If you try to remove the belt with out removing the pressure spring the pulley will snap shut when the belt is removed

I just ran the lathe at low speed, stopped it and switched off mains power.

Old belt is now holding motor pulley apart at smallest diameter.

Placed new belt in motor pulley over old belt.

Then moved the headstock pulley to high speed to slacken old belt.

Removed old belt from headstock pulley and fitted new belt.

Cut old belt through and rotating motor by hand removed old belt from under new belt.

Thanks for all the advice - thought it would be a good idea to find out "how-to" before I need to :lol:

Andrew

Andrew.
Great question,and some more great advice.This is ones for the printer and to keep seen as how i have the Perform. :D
Your right the instructions are pretty poor.
I remember reading something Chas said on here,though i can't find it again,about greasing.
I had a quick look last week but couldn't see any parts that could be greased :?: :?:
Paul.J

Back