Perform CCL swivel head + tool rest?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had my Perform CCL lathe for about 8 months now and I have still not worked out how to use the swivel head. Ok, I know how to rotate it through 90 degrees and attach the rest to the bed extension but how on earth am I supposed to get the tool rest in front of the lump of wood? The max. diameter over the bed is about 250mm but I would really like to turn a 350mm platter. Turning the edge of the blank would be easy but the face is well out of reach for my current setup. Am I missing some sort of tool rest extension? If so, can anyone recommend one?

Cheers.

If you only turn 45 dgrees instead of the full 90 and keep the tiool rest (with extension) on the main bed you should be able to reach. Make sure that you are only cutting on the downside of the face, don't go wrong side of centre or you could have a gouge flying at your face.

Pete

Bodrighy":2to5cqcq said:
keep the tiool rest (with extension) on the main bed Pete

Hi Pete,

I don't have a tool rest extension, only a bed extension which fits on the outboard side of the head stock. I could fit the rest to that and turn the head 45 degrees away from this extension but the blank would have to be quite thin.

Is there some sort of tool rest extension that can be fitted to the banjo that will enable the rest to move further away from the bed?

You should have 3 pieces, the main banjo that is on the bed, an extension piece (that I rarely use) that fits into the socket for the tool rest and the tool rest itself. Normally you would only use the main banjo and the tool rest but to work ooff the bed you would need the extension which it asounds as if you don't have.

Pete

You're right Pete, I don't seem to have a tool rest extension piece, I just have the banjo and tool rest. Maybe I'll drop Axminster a line just in case they owe me a part.

HI Paul

If you have a look at THIS PICTURE it shows a different lathe but the tool rest is the same.

If you look at the rest assembly their is the banjo and attached to that is the extension arm going off to the left with the rest in the end of it.

This is standard on the CCL and most of their other lathes, if you havent got this you need to get one otherwise you wont be able to turn the bigger lumps.

If you brought the lathe new it might be worth getting on to their service department. If you brought it secondhand you can still buy the assembly from Axminster I think it costs about £20.

john

PAC":3rpqkmtv said:
You're right Pete, I don't seem to have a tool rest extension piece, I just have the banjo and tool rest. Maybe I'll drop Axminster a line just in case they owe me a part.

I don't think it comes as standard - when i bought my m900 it was an optional extra - btw if you do buy one its worth getting an extra tool rest banjo so you arent continually swapping yours from one side to another.

Hi John,

I've just looked in my CCL user manual and I definitely didn't receive the tool rest extension when I bought the lathe from Axminster. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and I hope they will be sympathetic.

big soft moose":un0t9hp7 said:
PAC":un0t9hp7 said:

I don't think it comes as standard - when i bought my m900 it was an optional extra - btw if you do buy one its worth getting an extra tool rest banjo so you arent continually swapping yours from one side to another.

Thanks Pete, I'll clear it up tomorrow.

BTW, I sectioned some of that cherry you gave me and it was fantastic inside. :D

Bodrighy":1ekgto8r said:
If it's the Perform CCL then it comes as standard at least it did with mine. Mind you that was 2 years ago.

Pete

looking at the m900 manual i was wrong its standard with that too - it was just the 2nd banjo which isnt standard that i chose to buy as an extra.

axminster are normally pretty good with these things , so they'll probably provide you with one.

big soft moose":er7em7gh said:
axminster are normally pretty good with these things , so they'll probably provide you with one.

Yep, phoned Axminster this morning and they sent me a dispatch notice at 11am. They really are a great company and very quick to rectify any problems. Looking forward to turning a larger bowl/platter. :D

PAC":1zv3sd5l said:
. Looking forward to turning a larger bowl/platter. :D

maximum swing is probably arround 18" ( although i once turned a 36" platter on the m900 but that was very hairy and involved using a free standing tool rest aka a banjo clamped in a workmate) x 4" thick.

when working out the thickness you can do bear in mind that you not only need to get across the front , but also need to come further forward to get the tool rest inside the bowl

big soft moose":3srhvip2 said:
maximum swing is probably arround 18" ( although i once turned a 36" platter on the m900 but that was very hairy and involved using a free standing tool rest aka a banjo clamped in a workmate) x 4" thick.

when working out the thickness you can do bear in mind that you not only need to get across the front , but also need to come further forward to get the tool rest inside the bowl

I hear what you're saying - those downward forces can increase dramatically as the diameter increases. I'm happy to turn bowls up to around 14" - a good max. size for display on a table etc. I also have a bowl tool rest so that might help when hollowing a large bowl.

Can't wait for the postman... :)

... oops :lol:

Update: my tool test extension arrived today. Looking forward to turning a larger bowl this weekend!

Back