People of a certain age.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a bit of a reflect on this age thing.

It seems to me that most blokes in their twenties and thirties don't really have 'hobbies' as such. Instead they are either sporty, playing football, rugby, going climbing, fishing etc, or they spend their free time getting wasted and trying to get laid.

Then some lass gets her claws into him, he gets hitched, becomes a dad, and works 80 hours a week keeping the baillifs at bay.

It's really not suprising then, that the majority of hobbyists on this or any other forum tend to be middle-aged or above.

As far as career woodworking is concerned, I am actually quite encouraged by the numer of young guys I see on sites doing joinery apprecticeships. I have received 3 calls this week from students at our local college doing a furniture making course pleading with me for a placement. Ther's nothing I can do at the moment but I would hope that in a year's time I would be in a position to give one an opportunity.

There is a common belief that there is no long term future in woodworking as a career as our society becomes ever more reliant on cheap Chinese imports.

I disagree. If you try to compete head on then you will lose. However, by shifting slightly towards fitted and bespoke work you can become 'China-proof'. Most cabinet companies are doing this and while the economy reamains relatively bouyant (!) there will be a constant need for young people to be entering the trade.

In my experience, in my area, there is certainly no shortage of enthusiastic youngsters wanting to make this their career. I find this encouraging.

End of ramble

Cheers
Brad

Adam,

Someone critisced the 'me too' approach when posting, well this is definately a 100% 'Me too' post :) :)

I support every word you wrote, :D I am also registered on a few other forums (There's a doggy one, and one for expats in CZ) and frankly I want to scream at some of the postings on there.

I did notice on one that there was a facilty to "ignore" posts by people who are annoying, I've not seen it on UKW - I am completely happy with all the posters on UKW but if people think some 'threads' and some 'posts' are boring they could put them on the 'ignore' list.........if it was available. Just a thought.

Right ,first of all it's chromium blonde and not grey and second when I was in my 20's and 30's I had more interesting hobbies ( girls ,sport and drinking) it's only now that I can afford to buy expensive tools ,ignore the wife for weeks and spend my time at a computer. I am a PE teacher, I am 53 years old and make Brian Glover of Kes fame look like a spotty youth.My legs have gone,my eyes have gone and my sense of humour is starting to go. I could quite happily spend my life creating sawdust and quit the teaching game. As one of the kids was saying last week " Sir, I hear you might have to work until your seventy under this government" to which I replied " I will smell a bit because I will have been dead ten years teaching a shower like you lot ". Obviously this was a group of year 11 ( 16 year olds) and not the nice 95% of children that make this job one of the best in the world. Grump over I feel somewhat better.

Amateurrestorer":iybxwrqc said:
Right ,first of all it's chromium blonde and not grey and second when I was in my 20's and 30's I had more interesting hobbies ( girls ,sport and drinking) .

For me it was sex, drugs & rock "n" roll, not in any particular order :)

gardenshed":jpyah7h5 said:
Amateurrestorer":jpyah7h5 said:
Right ,first of all it's chromium blonde and not grey and second when I was in my 20's and 30's I had more interesting hobbies ( girls ,sport and drinking) .

For me it was sex, drugs & rock "n" roll, not in any particular order :)

after reading the last few posts it's interesting to note that people of our age all had similar interests ie. Sex rock'n'roll, sex, drugs, sex, sport, sex, booze, sex, girls, sex, more girls etc etc. :lol:

It's plain to see most, I repeat most but not all of the current under 20's are only interested in nicking cars, smashing up other peoples property and spraying graffiti over anything that doesn't move, or do I portray the wrong image? :cry:

Back