People of a certain age.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a general note really, seen as Brad and Senior brought it up. In principle, the moderators would be happy to let all topics through. However people seem unable to have a civilised discussion when they have differring opinions. So don't be so quick to blame us. If you read far enough back into the history of the forum you'll find that people take extreme insult to differing opinions when they are written in front of them, and the forum quickly digenerates to a mud slinging match. I think if you were at the pub, or chatting to a mate, you'd pick up much more on their expressions, like that they were saying something tongue in cheek, or they were just winding you up - but on a forum - all people see is the written word and its a lot easier to take offense. This makes it a nightmare for moderating. Based on those experiences, over time, rules were added to keep it running smoothly. If you want lots of "excitement" and free for all discussions, and don't want to discuss chisel sharpening they are a range of political and religous forums available. This is after all a woodwork forum, and thats what we chosen to stick to. Like any forum/magazine, you have a turnover of members, and so questions inevitably get asked again and again. I trust that helps explain why we try to keep religously on-topic.

Finally, its a family forum, which anyone any age would be comforable visiting, so that why we are fairly strict on everything.

Adam

Fair enough Adam,

I suppose that what I am trying to say is that if you've got something to say on sharpening your chisel, make it interesting, and if possible entertaining.

Now there's a challenge! :lol:

Cheers
Brad

I've used a few forums over the years and I'd say they live or die not only by having active member contributions but also by the moderating.

If the moderating can be seen to be fair and reasonable people are not put out by it.

I've not been here long enough to form much opinion yet but the few incidents I have seen lead me to think the balance is not quite right. There is probably more to what I have seen than I am aware of so I'll make no specific comments.

The forum has proved a valuable source of knowledge and ideas for me so I'm planning on staying around for a while yet :)

My recent work background is computer design and programming machine tools having started with hand tools and moved up. When I eventually stop fitting out my workshop and actually set about making something I'd rather use machines than hand skills as that is the way I have thought for years. So I don't read too many chisel and plane threads :)

senior":2ev3itum said:
How about a fat bloke in his underpants holding a plane. :lol:

An avatar like that it could be mistaken for anyone of us on this here forum :lol:

So Brad suggested sharpening chisels is boring, I think it's drill bits that do boring! :lol:

Back to the age thing - I'm 42 and been going grey since I was 18 :shock: (it's hereditary,not stress :lol: )
Just over two years ago,I decided to build a workshop and get a lathe,as I'm divorced,my daughter (now 23) had moved to Newcastle,and thought my son (now 16) would start going out more,and wanting to spend less time with his dear old dad.
So I did,and three months later,he moved in with me and is still here :lol:

Therefore,I think hobby woodworking is going to be primarily people who have passed the family-raising stage in life.

Andrew

i'm 18 now and i started doing woodwork as a hobby when i was about 13 and i'v had a part time job at making rabbit and dog houses and things like that for about 2 years so am i the youngest member :lol:

How refreshing to hear Brad & Senior's comments....some things I've been dying to comment on, but didn't have the bottle to.

I think the poll is quite a good idea - if just to satisfy curiosity.

I'm 55 by the way, or 54?....can't quite remember....

Chris.

Yes, occasionally the forum does get boring, simple answer, stay away for a few days and on your return will find new subjects.

This is a woodworking forum, not a forum for woodworkers so we're here to help each other on woodworking subjects.

If you want to be more controversial there are forums that provide for this or go down the pub.

It is my opinion that the largest percentage of people here join in because of the politeness and gentility of the majority.

If you don't want to discuss sharpening etc, and there are many youngsters coming on line who need to know, stay on the of topic section.

Dom

I don't know about the age thing,but the forum seem's to be dying! :cry: .I look on here nearly every day as i have done for about 6 months and the post's seem to be getting less and less.The threads just go on for about 4 post's and thats it.A lot of names that used to be regular's i don't see to much now.I'm 44 by the way :D . and this is my hobby of about 15 months.

Brad Naylor":1bbkdfhc said:
Incidentally Senior is one of the most accomplished woodworkers on these forums. His involvement here should be highly valued.
I think that definitely qualifies you for the OBN with bar and dangly bits, too :roll:

I think this forum is an interesting phenomenon because it has survived - certainly another place many of us came from died in part because of the vitriolic nature of one or two individuals such as "BaNa". It's the lack of flaming here makes it a refreshing place to post and whilst I'm not always on the side of the Mods I appreciate the job they do in holding the forum together (I suppose that rates me for OBN, 2nd class....... :roll: )

Senior, I think the age thing is just part of life in general. Most of the experienced tradesmen in the joinery trades I know of are in the forty plus bracket and decry the lack of new blood coming into the business. The lads they take on don't seem to stick too long, either. Pity is that there aren't many of them that are interested enough to stick it out - as perhaps your own experiences may have shown you?

Incidentally the term "old f*rt" can be just as offensive and derogatory as "c**n" to some people. Ageism, racism and sexism are all alike in my mind - that's not being PC, either, just even handed.

Scrit

Scrit":1yyfd23n said:
Brad Naylor":1yyfd23n said:
Incidentally Senior is one of the most accomplished woodworkers on these forums. His involvement here should be highly valued.
I think that qualifies you for the OBN with bar and dangly bits, too :roll:

Scrit

Can't argue there mate!

That's why I immediately awarded it to myself

Brad Naylor":1yyfd23n said:
Oh dear...

I've just re-read my last post.

I'm going to have to award myself the OBN!

Cheers
Brad

A lot of woodworking forums go quiet when the weather is cold. It seems that hobbyists don't go into their cold workshops and therefore don't have much on the woodworking front to discuss.

Forums seem to go through phases, too. When the conversations are bright and positive, they attract more people who want to share in the fun. When the conversations are full of criticisms and dreariness, people look elsewhere for their fun. The less we moan, complain, criticise and snipe, the more welcoming the forum will be and it will encourage greater participation. I don't think age has much to do with the level of activity - I think what contributors bring to a discussion is much more important.

This forum will always be what its members make of it, so next time you're going to knock the government, the forum, Norm Abram, hoodies, or whatever is sticking in your craw, ask yourself what the nature of your post will tell other people about you.

Gill

Cor blimey, this has turned into a right old navel gazer, hasn't it? Talk to me about boring repetition after you've been skulling about on woodworking fora on a daily basis with the same old faces for six years! :lol: Simple - you no likee, you no readee. You want something better? You makee with the interesting posts, chop chop. Forums like this are what you make them. Yes, I roll my eyes at the umpteenth and one post asking how to sharpen a chisel (and behold, there's another one even now), but I can choose to ignore it and not answer - which I confess I find I do more often these days. Or if I'm feeling more inclined to spend the time I could go into a long and detailed post on all aspects. Or do the sensible thing in the middle of these extremes and provide a few links. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it on the off-chance I might learn something. It's quite hard to be totally bored if you keep your eyes, and mind, open...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":23kymted said:
Cor blimey, this has turned into a right old navel gazer, hasn't it? Talk to me about boring repetition after you've been skulling about on woodworking fora on a daily basis with the same old faces for six years! :lol: Simple - you no likee, you no readee. You want something better? You makee with the interesting posts, chop chop. Forums like this are what you make them. Yes, I roll my eyes at the umpteenth and one post asking how to sharpen a chisel (and behold, there's another one even now), but I can choose to ignore it and not answer - which I confess I find I do more often these days. Or if I'm feeling more inclined to spend the time I could go into a long and detailed post on all aspects. Or do the sensible thing in the middle of these extremes and provide a few links. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it on the off-chance I might learn something. It's quite hard to be totally bored if you keep your eyes, and mind, open...

Cheers, Alf

an excellent point Alf, only the other day I was reading a post on chisel sharpening, and I....zzzz.....zzzz.....zzzzz.....zzzzzz

Gill":1bx30gq5 said:
A lot of woodworking forums go quiet when the weather is cold. It seems that hobbyists don't go into their cold workshops and therefore don't have much on the woodworking front to discuss.
Gill

Meanwhile the pros cower in their nice warm offices pretending to prepare cutting lists while playing on their computers rather than brave the cold of the shop!

Hi Robert,

Around here, even with the lack of in-school training [having mostly been phased out beginning in about 1980 or so], there are many people of all ages woodworking.

Even at most of the woodowrking shows which come to town, there's a mix of ages represented. Still, I would say the majority are over 30 at the shows.

Why? I think there are could be many reasons. Money is one of them. There is a heavy emphasis on needing the most expensive widgets to do woodworking--or nearly any hobby. Pity. People over 30 or 40 tend to be a bit more established, more financially stable. It is these people who are heavily marketed.

As for the younger woodworkers, I think school emphasis on sports in place of a more rounded education which includes vocational, or manual training: machine shop, auto, woodworking, pottery, glasswork and many of the arts is mainly to blame. I had the benefit of all those into my 12th year of public school. I see this lack of exposure as largely to blame. In my classes, emphasis was always on restoring tools, using grandfather's tools, that sort of thing. Learning to use what one had instead of "needing" new widgets. That emphasis largely negates the lack of money thing above. In the least it provides balance.

Well, I need more coffee and open the shop up for the day.

Take care, Mike

I am 25 and only got into woodworking about 1 and a half years ago before that I was a complete computer geek (still am :roll: ).

I think one of the aims of this forum should be to pass on the wealth of knowledge that member have to anybody who cares to listen. Remember before the net the only way to get this info would have been through books or becoming an apprentice. Where else but here can a member keep asking until he/she understands. If sharpening get too boring a topic maybe it should be put in the "How-To" section along with any thing else that's relevant.

I still think of myself as a youngster even at 51 but I am reminded of my age from time to time when parts of me ache that never used to. :( When I was younger I used to sit in front of the TV cross legged, I can still do this although I just can't get up afterwards! :shock:

Back