Pencil chair done..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerP":17st3hd7 said:
Thanks for the comments folk. I have a couple of observations for anyone contemplating making one.

The design as printed directly from the downloaded image was too small (on my PC set-up anyway) for normal diameter pencils to fit the holes. So I imported the image into Gimp (any good image program would do) and enlarged it until the holes were sufficiently big. Obviously the whole thing grows a little as well but that does not really matter.

The second point is that for a child's use it probably would be better to use thicker wood, At least for the sides use thicker wood than is obtained by measuring the seat and back tab slots from the plan. This would mean either using thinner wood for seat and back pieces or cutting normal tenons on the thicker wood instead of plain tabs. There's not really enough space to increase the thickness of the slots in the sides.

Why not just use a bigger drill? I mean, without scaling up the drawing. I think I used a 7mm, or maybe a 7.5mm drill, which was plenty big enough for the pencils I had.

Agree with Martin , and you could probably go a touch wider to make it more stable for kids to use. I want to try and put a floor on it to hold sharpener and rubber..

I found that the pencils I had were a little tight even using a 7.5mm hole. I scaled up to be able to keep a reasonable distance between pencils.

Each to his own.

THANKS Lads you got me sat here measuring pencils with my calipers I must get a life. :roll:
Geoff :)

RogerP":149mf41f said:
I found that the pencils I had were a little tight even using a 7.5mm hole. I scaled up to be able to keep a reasonable distance between pencils.

Each to his own.

I kinda thought pencils were all a similar size, but only having 3 pencils, what would I know?

Roger, I just had a look at your photobucket pages - some gorgeous looking items there that's you've made. Is the rocking chair full size? And the tricycle?

Thanks for your comments :)

There are two rocking chairs on there, the Shaker is full size copy of an original (also the side table) The other was made for a very large Teddy Bear owned by a 3 year old - but it's big enough for him also. The tricycle was made for a 5 year old young lady. :)

Roger.... I just had a sneaky peek at your photo bucket pictures as well...... some beautiful items.

I particularly like your small draws. Can I ask how you do the runners/ internal bit?

Perhaps some pictures of without the draws in?
It's just this is something I am wanting to have a go at

I use several different methods but stopped grooves centrally in the drawer box side and corresponding rails in the cabinet carcass is a good way for miniatures.

Can't take many photos of the cabinet internals as mostly they were given away to friends and relations.

Here's one I use in the workshop so it's a bit dirty, dusty and "used" but it'll show what I mean.

drawers_zpsad5fc0ea.jpg

Here's a download link in my Dropbox to a freebie American Fine Woodworking magazine with some stuff about cabinets and drawers.
(It's legal as FW gave it away as a free download).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xevzhd1tow3zbpd/0201.pdf

Back