Pencil chair done..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
this is just lovely to make, i did notice( could be me) that the tenons on the slats needed to be a tad wider but really enjoyed making it, thanks martin..

Attachments

• pencilchairdone.jpg
    pencilchairdone.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,327
As I said to Martin. They are cute and I think they could sell well..... but would you have to sell them with the pencils ?

no i wouldn't, just have one to hand full of them to show what it looks like, adding the pencils would make it too expensive..

Jmac80 me sell for a fiver, finish with a couple of light sprays of satin clear coat.

Jmac80":3329bnhb said:
woodndrum":3329bnhb said:
Jmac80 me sell for a fiver, finish with a couple of light sprays of satin clear coat.
Thanks
And what wood? something like 6mm birch ply or...?
Hi
I just cut this out of mdf to see what's it's like to build, at about a fiver for each one I wouldn't want to make it out of anything else really unless you have ply to hand, you could always sell it as they can decorate it in their own colours..

Nice piece Steve , looks great loaded with the pencils . Well done to Martin for sure .

I don't reckon you would be making too many from MDF Steve as you have said many times dust is always a problem .
Looks to be a top seller .

Thank Eugene, I have some mdf left over from past jobs, just can't seem to get on with ply, most of it that I have used seems like rubbish..

rspsteve":30reu9h6 said:
Steve can you post a pic without the pencils?

Cheers

Steve

if you look at Martins picture thread 'pencil bench' you can see the chair better, i just happened to have more pencils, :lol:

Not my usual sort of thing at all but couldn't not after a niece saw it.

Had to dig out the old Colwells jigsaw and plane down a piece or redwood :)

chair3_zpsec1760c9.jpg

chair1_zpsaf4a207f.jpg

Thanks for the comments folk. I have a couple of observations for anyone contemplating making one.

The design as printed directly from the downloaded image was too small (on my PC set-up anyway) for normal diameter pencils to fit the holes. So I imported the image into Gimp (any good image program would do) and enlarged it until the holes were sufficiently big. Obviously the whole thing grows a little as well but that does not really matter.

The second point is that for a child's use it probably would be better to use thicker wood, At least for the sides use thicker wood than is obtained by measuring the seat and back tab slots from the plan. This would mean either using thinner wood for seat and back pieces or cutting normal tenons on the thicker wood instead of plain tabs. There's not really enough space to increase the thickness of the slots in the sides.

Latest posts

Back