pen turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lister321

Reaction score
Hi all i,m new to this just bought a record dml305 and want to start turning pens. My question is how do i drill a 7mm hole without a drill press?
thanks all Steve.[/list]

This is a problem for me too, I currently have a loan lathe here as well as my own, and the loan lathe has an Axminster chuck which will just about hold the blank, but not as well as the jaws in that tutorial, and its going back next week, so I have to come up with something else.

I went out to prepare a load of blanks the other evening, but soon got bored and did some turning instead :lol:

Cutting, drilling and glueing the blanks can get a bit boring and tedious but it is worth it when you do the turning and get the end results.

I use those jaws because they are the easiest of the ones I have, I also use the smaller gripper and shark type jaws as I find them very good as well.

Something I didnt put in the tutorial but sometimes it make it easier if you find the centre of one end of the blank you can then use a centre in the tailstock to help make sure the blank is in the right place.

john

I'd just like to add as well.

If you are goinf to use your lathe to drill the blanks, you might want to check to make sure everything is in-line.

If they are not then the hole might drift or the hole at the start will be larger.

I had this problem, with the live centre in the alignment was slightly out (1mm), soon as I put the chuck in this went to 6mm out, even with different chucks.

So somthing to watch out for.

Mark..........

Hi John

Not a lot I can do apart from casting a new tail stock, there is no means to alter the alignment up or down, just left or right.

Since it would only be the pens that I need to do any pricesion with it's not that much of an issue.

By the way, the lathe is a Clarke CL12D

Mark............

Back