Quantcast

Pen tube painting and glueing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Not the end of the world, wasn't that keen on the blank anyway... but could do with a little advice on where I went wrong if possible please.

Blank drilled.
Tubed roughed up, and used an acrylic based aerosol spray to paint the tubes.
Tubes warmed and painted infront of a fan heater. (Cold evening) Left to dry overnight.

Glued into the blank, using a low viscosity CA glue. Quite an easy push fit.

Turned the barrels, wider section is fine, but the top section reveals a patchy white and bare brass looking tube........picture is worth a thousand words.

Where have I gone wrong? (hammer)

Attachments

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Acrylic paint can lift and crack if it is on too thick, or the CA may have exaserbated it

Aidan

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
I never have much luck doing the thinner pen kits in acrylics. Painted tubes, and holes, and I still get the tubes showing through. I stick to the fatter kits these days... costs less on see through ones!!

I love the blank by the way what's it called

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
When I use a see thru blank or a blank which I suspect might be an issue- I paint the tube and the inside of the drilled hole and then if I know it’s really see thru I also mix a bit of the paint into the epoxy glue that I use to glue the tubes in with.
I use enamel for colours and white primer- all of these are applied by aerosol/rattle can

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Might have to try that then, I have another blank which I suspect will be very see through.
When you say you mix a little paint with the epoxy, just a squirt from the can, or do you use a different type for that?

Melinda, the blank was from a tropical storm multipack, same pack that purple one came from as it happens.

What do we all do with our failed attempts such as this, leave them in a big pot by the phone? #-o

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hitch":3h224os0 said:
When you say you mix a little paint with the epoxy, just a squirt from the can, or do you use a different type for that?
yes- just a squirt from the can and then mix it in