Spraying tubes On pens Before Glueing Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
Spraying tubes On pens Before Glueing Up
Is this Nnessecary And Why I Got A Load Of Corian and I been looking Around and been told with acrylic and corian its best to spray the tubes before glueing them up if so what is the logic behind this and also what glue is best to go with required paint?
Regards
Bill

Hi Bill,
I agree with Woody I have made dozens of pens in both corian and acrylic and have only needed to colour some of the tubes for the most translucent acrylics. I use indelible marker pens to colour the tubes trying to match the colour of the blank where possible. Make sure that the tubes ate thoroughly dry before glueing up. You can buy coloured tube but it is not really necessary.

Bill
the only difference between the lower two pens in this pic is that i painted the tube on one (the bottom one) and not the other (the middle).
So if its an acrylic and a possibility of being translucent painting will enhance the pen tenfold.
no need to paint for the corian as it aint see through.
BTW i mix a little acrylic paint with the epoxy glue before adding the hardener, effectively creating coloured glue.

file.php

In my experience pretty much all acrylic has some degree of translucence. The thinner parts of the the pen barrel will allow the tubes to show through or affect the colour as Nev's photograph shows. I think it is better to be safe than sorry with acrylics and therefore I always spray my pen tubes with an appropriate shade of acrylic car undercoat. Black or grey for darker colours, white for lighter.

I don't much like corian for pen making, but if you do want to use it then you will have no problem with translucence as it is opaque.

Brittleheart":1cths1ve said:
In my experience pretty much all acrylic has some degree of translucence. The thinner parts of the the pen barrel will allow the tubes to show through or affect the colour as Nev's photograph shows. I think it is better to be safe than sorry with acrylics and therefore I always spray my pen tubes with an appropriate shade of acrylic car undercoat. Black or grey for darker colours, white for lighter.

I don't much like corian for pen making, but if you do want to use it then you will have no problem with translucence as it is opaque.
Thanks Walter will bear That all In Mind
regards
Bill

Back