Pen tube painting and glueing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Not the end of the world, wasn't that keen on the blank anyway... but could do with a little advice on where I went wrong if possible please.

Blank drilled.
Tubed roughed up, and used an acrylic based aerosol spray to paint the tubes.
Tubes warmed and painted infront of a fan heater. (Cold evening) Left to dry overnight.

Glued into the blank, using a low viscosity CA glue. Quite an easy push fit.

Turned the barrels, wider section is fine, but the top section reveals a patchy white and bare brass looking tube........picture is worth a thousand words.

Where have I gone wrong? (hammer)

Attachments

• GEDC0885.JPG
    GEDC0885.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 867
Acrylic paint can lift and crack if it is on too thick, or the CA may have exaserbated it

Aidan

I never have much luck doing the thinner pen kits in acrylics. Painted tubes, and holes, and I still get the tubes showing through. I stick to the fatter kits these days... costs less on see through ones!!

I love the blank by the way what's it called

When I use a see thru blank or a blank which I suspect might be an issue- I paint the tube and the inside of the drilled hole and then if I know it’s really see thru I also mix a bit of the paint into the epoxy glue that I use to glue the tubes in with.
I use enamel for colours and white primer- all of these are applied by aerosol/rattle can

Might have to try that then, I have another blank which I suspect will be very see through.
When you say you mix a little paint with the epoxy, just a squirt from the can, or do you use a different type for that?

Melinda, the blank was from a tropical storm multipack, same pack that purple one came from as it happens.

What do we all do with our failed attempts such as this, leave them in a big pot by the phone? #-o

Hitch":3h224os0 said:
When you say you mix a little paint with the epoxy, just a squirt from the can, or do you use a different type for that?

yes- just a squirt from the can and then mix it in

Back