Pen\Pencil holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will probably start making something a bit bigger after this one.

Until building this all the pens and pencils were thrown in a drawer with loads of junk, finding a pen let alone one that works was always a challenge.

What a build up.....

Anyway here it is.

IMG_201303063819.jpg

Its made from Sapele, Cedar and English Ash.

I used steel clamps to keep it together. The downside is that these leave holes which in lighter wood may need filling.

IMG_2013030637465.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_201303063819.jpg
    IMG_201303063819.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,097
  • IMG_2013030637465.jpg
    IMG_2013030637465.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2,097
Very nice :)

A little tip from the woodwhisperer. With small boxes like this he uses selotape as a clamp and it does a great job. Basically he lays the pieces down, onto the tape. Keeping the joints close. Applies glue to the joints and rolls it up and then pulls the tape tight and joins it all up.

carlb40":1mwjlfzn said:
Very nice :)

A little tip from the woodwhisperer. With small boxes like this he uses selotape as a clamp and it does a great job. Basically he lays the pieces down, onto the tape. Keeping the joints close. Applies glue to the joints and rolls it up and then pulls the tape tight and joins it all up.
As I read your comment I did a head slap, its so obvious thinking about it now.

Thanks!

Oh and are the holes - holes or just dents from the clamps? If it is the latter you can wet the dent and use a damp cloth and an iron to get rid of the dent.

Thanks again for the tip, the clamps are really sharp and have broken the surface of the wood so..... a hole.

Oh i see, i never clicked on the pic before. I saw the F clamp and assumed you used those :oops:

Where did you get the clamps from? I want some but only seen them in America .
+1 on using masking tape for the joints

If you want something similar but cheaper, you can cut up old upholstery or bed springs to make a C-shape with just a little gap between the ends. You need to pull the ends apart rather than squeezing them like the ones linked to, but they cost 100% less!
Usually recommended for awkward furniture restoration jobs such as glueing replacement moulding onto an edge.

But mostly you can use masking tape, which has a little bit of stretch in it and can be surprisingly effective.

I've used cross weave tape in the past. Very strong and doesn't stretch. If used on veneered mdf etc, it can tend to lift the grain a little when the tape is removed.

Dave

Back