Pen finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying my hand with turning some pens and it is going okay, but can anyone answer a few basic questions that I am bemused over please?
cellulose or spirit sanding sealer - I bought both is one better than the other ?

My other question is likely to be controversial!! How to get a really good shine? I tried to work this out for myself and came up with a plan but I am sure a better finish could be got when I compare my results to the results of others posted online - but online there are as many opinions as posts it seems?

I bought the 5 pack of pen turning sanding paper going right down to the very fine one, so what I do is sand down through the grades to the last but one fine one. Then use that with sanding sealer which I put on with the sandpaper. Move down to the finest and give another coat and wait for it to dry. Then buff up with paper towel and then use a stick of the hard wax in two coats ons buff up. I get an okay result but I am not properly pleased with it. Any simple suggestions?

Regards, Jinx

Hello Jinx, I make pens from time to time, this is my method which works well. Sand your pen while still on the mandrel and spinning, start with 100grit then 150grit. Stop the lathe and sand with 240grit with the grain making sure you have all of the scratches out from sanding across the grain. You could at this stage sand down to a 400grit but I seldom find that necessary. Brush on one coat of cellulose sanding sealer with a good quality artist brush or squirrel mop if you have one. Leave for 20 minutes then brush on one more coat. Leave for at least one hour but longer if you are not restrained by time. Cut back with the grain using '0000' wire wool then wax with any paste wax you have and buff.

okay will try that. I only left the sanding sealer for about ten minutes so that probably didn't help. do you buff up the sanding sealer before polishing though? Jinx

Back