Pen finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plymouth pirate

Established Member
Reaction score
todayspen.jpg

Made this pen today using the Linseed oil/CA glue/wax polish method of finish but I got it seriously wrong somewhere.
I applied the glue, as mentioned in another post a few days ago and used the activator to set it but ended up with a very uneven surface which required a lot of sanding back until it was reasonably smooth again.
Question is, do you have the pen turning when applying the glue/activator, (which I did) or is it applied with the blanks stationary?
Another problem I had were the knot holes in the wood, (Yew burr) How do you fill these to give a perfect finish at the end?
Sorry about the quality of the photo. Can't do any better for now, #1 son had disappeared with the pen.
Regards
John

hi john
the way i do mine is, sanding sealer, a touch of BLO just to show the grain better, 3 dabs of CA on a tissue and wipe across the barrels evenly but fairly quickly. Repeat these steps until you are satisfied with the result, sand up to a real gloss shine then finish with Ren wax.

The CA glue should fill all the voids on the burr too. :wink:

here is a link to view it being done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VkKcFRSWQ

Thanks, Steve.
Do you have the blanks turning while applying the CA or stationary?.
Also, do you sand between coats of the CA.
Regards
John

'My' method is as follows: tooling, followed by 'normal' abrasive then micromesh to 12000. Then a couple of drops of BLO wiped across the blank at medium lathe speed followed immediately by a drop or two of CA wiped back and forth a few times (lathe still turning). Check the finish (lathe stationary) and if necessary cut back to smooth (with practice this is rarely required). Repeat the BLO/CA a further 3 times (generally) then apply friction polish and finally Renaissance wax.

Stand back and admire!

Cheers,

Neil.

John, You must always keep the lathe turning, i turn around 1500. The faster you are turning the better you can spread the CA. After you have applyed the B/linseed oil, place the CA on to your paper towel over the BLO. This helps the CA spread better. As for the voids, i keep applying the CA until the voids are filled. I have sometimes applyed 20 coats to get this right. I will rub down with micro mesh from around 6000 to 8000 grit up to the 12000. Then add another coat or two to give a gloss finish. Finish off with Ren wax.
It can some days go trouble free, and also some days it can be a real pain!!!! It's all about knowing when to stop.
Hope this works for you.

Many thanks for your help.
I'll follow your advice and hopefully will produce a better result with the two blanks remaining.
Regards
John

CA is superglue (technical term :wink: ) I wouldn't have thought you'd need to use activator with it though for this? Must admit I haven't used this method (don't have the patience :oops: )

Richard

Richard Findley":1j4lci9q said:
CA is superglue (technical term :wink: ) I wouldn't have thought you'd need to use activator with it though for this? Must admit I haven't used this method (don't have the patience :oops: )

Richard

it doesn't take that long actually richard, once you have done it a couple of times its quite quick.

Latest posts

Back