Pax crosscut tenon saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have first-hand experience with these?

I've been looking for a crosscut tenon saw for sometime now on ebay but its difficult as most don't say whether they teeth are setup for rip or x-cut. Pax seem to be a good saw and a reasonable amount of money (cheaper than LN, Adria etc..) and I do like the idea of buying new so I don't have to worry about finding someone to sharpen an old second hand one.

BB

I have owned a Pax for over a year and still use it a lot. I rounded the handle a bit to make it a little more comfortable (on forum somewhere but no time to search at mo) and used the saw at Philly's bash to cut some of the waste form my DTs

They are an excellent saw, not in the league of LN or Adria for quality, but very nice none-the-less.

you would not be disappointed

ByronBlack":3unl57ok said:
Anyone here have first-hand experience with these?

I've been looking for a crosscut tenon saw for sometime now on ebay but its difficult as most don't say whether they teeth are setup for rip or x-cut. Pax seem to be a good saw and a reasonable amount of money (cheaper than LN, Adria etc..) and I do like the idea of buying new so I don't have to worry about finding someone to sharpen an old second hand one.
I have a 14" PAX CC tenon saw. A lot of times I wish I had the rip as well. I've mostly used it to cut dadoes and general trimming. I haven't done a lot of tenons. I think its good saw from my limited experience. :?

ByronBlack":hegnzk2k said:
and I do like the idea of buying new so I don't have to worry about finding someone to sharpen an old second hand one.

Yeah, second hand ones sometimes need a good deal more than "sharpening".

Look at the picture under "Illustration of some of the issues to be faced during teeth reshaping" to get really scared!

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/saw_sharpen.html

OTOH, any non-hard-point saw (is "soft point saw" a name???) will need sharpening eventually.

BugBear

bugbear":3afeq8eh said:
OTOH, any non-hard-point saw (is "soft point saw" a name???) will need sharpening eventually.

Well, the hard-point ones eventually need sharpening, they just don't get it :)

I've been running one semi-hard for a couple of years now; I'll admit it still is remarkably sharp, but you can notice the loss of sharpness now (mind you, it is still quite usable).

Paul Kierstead":27nqh1a7 said:
I've been running one semi-hard for a couple of years now

I'm so sorry, the juvenile schoolchild raised its ugly head in my brain and I laughed out loud at that - no offense intended! :lol:

ByronBlack":2j5czjfw said:
Paul Kierstead":2j5czjfw said:
I've been running one semi-hard for a couple of years now

I'm so sorry, the juvenile schoolchild raised its ugly head in my brain and I laughed out loud at that - no offense intended! :lol:

Well, it is the kind of saw that is nice, but not really nice :) Well, the tote is fugly, but the main body is nice.

Ditto what Byron said,

I have a footprint dovetail saw, its does a reasonable job,
I do wonder whether the bigger saws are just as good.

Matt
still laughing out loud

I have a Pax tenon and Dovetail saws. IMHO they are ok but nothing special - if you look closely at the set of the blade it is a bit inconsistent (and a bit extreme) they need a bit of fettling to track true. I thought it was my sawing 'technique' that was off until I bought a LN dovetail & tenon saw - what a difference! If you're set on the Pax's PM me and make me an offer - I'm far happier with the LNs.

RP

Back