Paul Chapman's Part 1 Final Submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my entry for the competition (both parts). It's a round, oak table being made for a relative. It's based on an existing table which was made in Holland and which I saw, but several years ago. It's to go in a 16th century cottage which is full of oak beams and dark oak furniture, so the finished piece will be stained dark oak and lightly distressed.

Here's my drawing:

e94b6271.jpg

I've showed only three main dimensions, height 18", diameter 36" and thickness of top 1 3/4". I anticipate that the legs will be 3" thick, but will probably make them up in softwood first to see whether that thickness looks visually right.

The top will be fitted to the cross rails with buttons.

The cross rails will be fitted to the legs with loose tenons, pegged with dowels. I will use this method rather than traditional mortice and tenons because of the angles involved. I reckon I will achieve a more accurate fit by shooting the ends of the cross rails than by cutting traditional tenons.

Apart from use of a router to prepare the grooves for the loose tongues to join the pieces for the top; to cut the circular top; and cut the mortices for the loose tenons and buttons, all the work will be done with hand tools (because I don't have any machinery).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back