Parana Pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockingmoment

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just rescued a load of the above from a neighbours' skip - with permission of course.

It was an old stair - treads, risers, newels (75mm sq), hand rails (250mm by 40mm by 3000mm)

Question is - what can it be used for (apart from another set of stairs!)?

Indoor / outdoor? Does it weather well? My mum would like a garden bench. If this is ok - how would I treat it afterwards?

Also - my new Scheppach HMS2600 is due this week... thanks to Yandles special offer.... the pine has been varnished previously. Any problem putting this through my shiny new P/T?

Thanks,

SM

Its non durable so internal use only.

And get a spare set of knives, old varnish can blunt blades quite quickly. But its nice wood to work but can dent easily.

Jason

Blimey, there's a blast from the past. i remember using this wood at school for all the practice joints and even made a couple of coffee tables in it. I remember it as being an easy wood to cut and with nice red streaks in it. It was typical pine mind, grain wise.

Pete

Made a single bed for my daughter out of some of this. Very 1960s, but I think she still has it.
Interesting smell of carrots when you are working the wood; at least, the stuff I had smelled of them.

As others have said, Parana Pine brings back memories! Haven't used any for years. I remember it working rather better than most pines, quite close grained. Takes joints, eg dovetails very well. Can have wonderful streaks of colour - reds and greens - which, unfortunately, fade with age. Just the timber for small (indoor) cabinets. Can be quite unstable when freshly cut. As for the smell, well carrots is putting it mildly, some pieces can smell quite "off".

Bob

Latest posts

Back