My first real wood specific power tool - Router!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeathRobinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am still very much the woodworking amateur, and, out of necessity I keep my tools in a corner of the living room where space is at a premium. I like to work indoors in the Winter when it's cold and prefer the quiet and comparative 'dustlessness' of hand tools. I do own a cordless drill and a small jigsaw but these are pretty clean as far as dust generation goes. I don't mind taking my time over a project so the extra time taken through using hand tools doesn't bug me.

The lack of space though had convinced me that a multitalented router would be a better investment than an army of planes. I would stick with hand planes for flattening and cleanup but a router that I could grow into seemed a good idea. Of course I understand that I'll be using the router outdoors on fine days only.

This weekend Miss Robinson and I took a drive from ours to Yandles in Martock. I haven't been to Yandles before, friendly place though with a good selection of timber on site. Even Miss R was enthusiastic after seeing what woods we could eventually be using beyond the pine that I have so far restricted myself too.

It was then that I spotted what I thought was the Bosch GMF 1400 CE Combination Router. A tool that I had been eyeing up for quite some time as just the thing to fill my requirements in a router. Both plunge and fixed bases supplied and at 1400W not too big for a beginner nor too small to grow into. Getting nearer to the display I had to do a double take. It wasn't the Bosch, it was a Draper. I wondered if this was the same machine in a different guise. A quick chat with the staff at Yandles and a jaunt to Axminster to double check the similarities and I was pretty certain this was the same machine rebranded.

The Bosch at Axminster was retailing at close to £300 whereas the Draper Expert Combo Router was £150 at Yandles. On the way home driving past Martock Miss R gave the OK and we bundled a shiny new router into the boot. I have since found the Draper even cheaper online if you're tempted.

Now, of course, I have no cutters yet and no prior experience with routers so I am looking for recommendations on safety equipment, books and cutters. Christmas is coming after all! So far I have identified the major uses of the router for me at the moment would be cutting rabbets and dadoes and rounding over though I'm sure I'll find more uses as my experience grows.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Simon

From my past experience with Draper power tools I would have gone for the Bosch. Hope you find it more reliable than the usual Draper offerings.

BTW welcome to the forum :D

Harry

Hi Simon,

While they do bare several similarities, I'd still expect the Bosch router to be of a higher build quality, regardless of the price difference. Still, Andy King (of Good Woodworking magazine) was very impressed with the Draper router in a recent review.

Some people would say 1,400w is a little under-powered for the router to be used in a table... If you're only gonna be cutting grooves, rebates and mouldings, I reckon you'll be fine. Just don't think this router would be man enough to take any larger panel cutters! :wink:

There was a thread in the Buying Advice forum with some suggestions for books on routing (Bill Hylton comes to mind). I also like Jeremy Broun's DVDs. :)

If you haven't used it yet, take it back! £150 will get you a good make of router. Draper 'Expert' is not known for quality.

:lol:

Okay, I take on board the comments from those who I presume to be more experienced. However, I am left wondering how there could be such a difference in quality. I have visually compared the two routers down to having screws, and switches in the same places and castings the same shape and materials. I've also compared the specs. They are the exact same item, probably made in the same factory but with different colours and badges attached.

Incidentally I haven't used it yet. Though if someone would care to demonstrate the difference between this and a quality router to me, I would be willing to bring the thing along for comparison purposes. I'm in Wiltshire.

Just browsing through the first few parts of the Hylton book now on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation OPJ.

Simon

It's all about quality of parts and longevity. If you'd bought a cheap brand router for £50 then I'd say good luck to you, put it though it's paces and when it dies you haven't lost too much but learned a lot. However, you've spent £150 on a router who's brand is known to be iffy at best and the money you have spent could have got you a quality router. I just don't want to see you waste your cash. To put it another way. I have never heard of anyone raving about a Draper anything.

wizer":31fayluo said:
To put it another way. I have never heard of anyone raving about a Draper anything.

Heheh, yes. A point that isn't lost on me. The parts and labour warranty is 1 year and parts 2 years. This would seem to bear out your opinion but I am confused how something so similar can be so different and would genuinely like to investigate the differences if any.

As the generic £50 quid router was mentioned, would it be possible to have gotten a combination fixed and pluge router for £50? I personally haven't seen any and that was part of what convinced me on this sort of setup. I'm a beginner, a weekend woodworker, tight on space.

I'm quite prepared to admit I may be wrong on this purchase but I would like to give the thing a chance before returning it simply on the basis of the brand's reputation. Paying twice the money for the Bosch to get the same functions especially when it seems to be the exact same machine just seems crazy to me.

I started off with a real cheapo TechTools (or similar) router from Aldi / Neeto. Think it was about £15, 1010W or something. It worked fine and I ended up buying a second. Both are still working just fine, but have been supplemented by the big Triton for table use and a B&D for more general use.

Hiya Heath

I would agree with Wizer on this being like yourself a newbie.
To start with a router can be hard to learn and get to do what most of the forum members get theres to do, but also you will soon find that a cheaper one under £50 is a much better tool to learn with then once you understand exactly what it can do and more importantly what you can do with it and buy one for your needs that will last you.
I know its a matter of personal choice but listen to the advice being given they have saved me time and money,even when it seems i am asking a daft question i get honest helpful friendly advice.
Enjoy the forum and hope you find it as useful as myself.

Martin

HR - the thing that you can't see is the important bit inside. In other words, it's the quality of the motor and bearings that you may well pay for with the Bosch, as these are the things that'll fail if it goes TU :)
I've had a small Draper pillar drill in the shop now for about 10 years and it's performed well. It's never let me down at all...the capacity is a bit on the small side so it's in line for 'bigging up' in a couple of years or so - Rob

I can't make a comparison on the two routers, but, I have had a Bosch 900 router for about 12 t0 15 years, won from one of the magazines, (Routing magazine in fact), I have used it constantly, (my big one stays in the table), and it is still as I got it all that time ago if this helps at all, it must show reliability of well known brands.
Derek.

Derek Willis.":17ixsa2m said:
...I have had a Bosch 900 router for about 12 t0 15 years ... I have used it constantly ... it must show reliability of well known brands.

How do you get to sleep with that racket, then?

If you're a beginner than you don't really need the fixed base feature. For instance. I bought a Ryobi router at the D&M Show for £99, it much more powerful than yours, it can be used in a table if I wished (I don't) and Ryobi are known to be middle of the market in terms of quality. You've bought something that's considered bottom of the market for £50 more than I paid.

It's your money and your choice. The router you have will work fine and may last you longer than a year. But you have the choice of taking it back and getting something better AND cheaper.

OK I have to say this thread has made me feel a bit belittled in terms of my choice especially since nobody else on the thread appears to have handled the Draper, but even so, I am seriously considering returning it as a result of what has been said. Peer pressure may yet win me over. Let's be clear though, I'm not trying to be resistive, I'm trying to see the decision from all angles.

As offered above, I'm in Melksham, Wiltshire - if there is anybody here who would like to give the Draper a look over with me and, without seeing it as an incentive to run down the Draper, might like a free trip down to Yandles with me if I decide to return it then please make yourselves known. OPJ (somerset)? Rob (woodbloke)?

For the avoidance of doubt - this is a link to an advert for the exact router I now have in my posession.

I apologise if you think that I am talking down to you. I am trying to help you. Most of us here have been in your position and spent money on tools that we later regretted. There is nothing for me to gain in giving you bad advice. If you really are against taking the router back, then that's fine. You will still learn lots from having a router, it's an extremely versatile tool. Get yourself a copy of Bill Hylton's book and you'll see the amazing things that can be done. Good Luck.

I'd not touch anything by Draper.
IMHO they are the same quality of Aldi & B&Q own brand tools at far greater cost.

They seem to have a big advertising budget so the mags will write about them I suppose.

I bought a router in Aldi last week for £15 and on past experiernce of their stuff it will be OK. If not then its only £15.

I've had B&Q performance power router (about £60-70 1200W i think) for 5 years now without any complaint. I also have MacAllister (aka B&Q rebranded) same router again in the router table, and once again for 2 years it's been great. Admittedly they're not the budget models but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. And now they're rebranded MacAllister you get a 3 year manufacturer warranty, and to top it off the warranty is 3 year in store replacement not repair.

Also have a little Bosch, no idea what model but had it best part of 10 years. Still going strong although the power switch in the handle died from the dust and had to be replaced at a cost of £2.00. Great for light use.

I suppose it all comes down to past experience as to which people recommend.

martlewis":2dow40ru said:
Also have a little Bosch, no idea what model but had it best part of 10 years. Still going strong although the power switch in the handle died from the dust and had to be replaced at a cost of £2.00. Great for light use.

The small Bosch palm router also entered into my list of choices at one point but I decided to favour it's bigger brother for it's increased abilities.

I would like to have some firm opinion on the Draper from someone who has seen it before I decide to return it or not. It would be good to pocket the difference between this and a cheap one but not if that means I might end up buying twice. I only want one router - I just don't have space for a number of cheaper ones. The Draper I have may not be as bad as suggested, or it may be. That is the dilemma. I haven't the experience to tell and probably should have just gone for a cheap one to begin with but then again I was going to go for the Bosch in any case and that is double this ones price.

I guess like anyone I have both time and money invested in my choice here and to be told it's a bad one without qualification seemed to me to be misplaced brand loyalty. The Veritas block plane thread for instance in the Hand tools sub-forum is full of it, though now, the mood of the thread seems to be shifting in the opposite direction.

I prefer to analyze each product individually rather than tar an entire product line up with the same brush. This may be in vein but I feel is the least biased way of going about things. Please make sure to check the link I posted earlier to Draper's advert for this router. It is a far cry from any of the cheap ones it is being compared to. That isn't to say that it is not inferior to the Bosch though.

I'll get to your PM in just a second Woodbloke :)

PS. My apologies to WiZeR for being so stubborn and for causing you to apologise :D

Hello HeathRobinson,
I not sure if forum members speak from personal experience or not but I have used Draper kit for many years both in the motor trade professionally and as an amateur woodworker since retirement and have always found their equipment excellent value for money. I have all makes of power hand tools including Bosch, Dewalt and from an amateur point of view have found Draper kit to be equal in performance and longevity. Stick with the Draper,I'm sure you wont be disappointed. I have fancied that model myself as I fancy a fixed base router for some tasks.

Cheers,
Gower
:D

Latest posts

Back