paraffin Heater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teepeg

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading about the Paraffin heaters that are odourless I decided to get the Zibro LC150 CE, I had to wait about a month as they were on back orer. Tested it out this morning and other than smelling the paraffin for about an hour I was very pleased with the heater as a whole. Hopefully the odour will gradually fade as the manual did state that new heaters did send out the odour.
Obviously I have fitted a carbon monoxide alarm for precaution ..

Yep any new metal will give off a smell when 1st heated , as for odourless paraffin I’ve not heard of it. The Carbon monoxide alarm position is important . Away from any air vents : windows/ or doors - fitted at the highest point of your shop about 6 inches from the ceiling.battery models are best - Keep in mind the environment ( dust ,fumes from paint , varnish etc . Test regularly and be aware you may not heat it over machinery noise especially if wearing ear defenders ..,

Curious. How are you going to deal with the increased moisture or is it vented out of the shop?

Pete
Pete, the workshop is 28ft long, the heater is placed at the top where I have a window cracked open which I am hoping will be adequate for ventulation. Also reading this on reviews of these Inverter heaters helped persuade me, "Produces little, if any condensation, unlike earlier paraffin heaters and gas bottle calor heaters"

The Carbon monoxide alarm position is important . Away from any air vents : windows/ or doors - fitted at the highest point of your shop about 6 inches from the ceiling.battery models are best
Bearing in mind CO is heavier than air so will fill a void bottom up !

The best alarms are not neccessarily battery, properly installed hard wired alarms with battery backup are better and these days use interlinked arms.

Interesting because the water is produced by the combustion of parafin and unless they use a separate combustion chamber with heat exchanger where the combustion gases are vented outside where does the water go ?

After reading about the Paraffin heaters that are odourless I decided to get the Zibro LC150 CE, I had to wait about a month as they were on back orer. Tested it out this morning and other than smelling the paraffin for about an hour I was very pleased with the heater as a whole. Hopefully the odour will gradually fade as the manual did state that new heaters did send out the odour.
Obviously I have fitted a carbon monoxide alarm for precaution ..
Bing can't find that exact model.
Do you have a link?

Bearing in mind CO is heavier than air so will fill a void bottom up !

The best alarms are not neccessarily battery, properly installed hard wired alarms with battery backup are better and these days use interlinked arms.
Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and will spread evenly throughout a property, hence why the approved position for c/o alarms is above the height of any doorway and 150 mm from any ceiling. I was tested on this multiple times during compliance visits by the safety inspector at b,gas and again while doing my acc,s accreditations every 5 years .mains / battery alarms are excellent but most installers fit them to the ceiling which is not a recommended position ( gas safety regs installation and use )

Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and will spread evenly throughout a property, hence why the approved position for c/o alarms is above the height of any doorway and 150 mm from any ceiling. I was tested on this multiple times during compliance visits by the safety inspector at b,gas and again while doing my acc,s accreditations every 5 years .mains / battery alarms are excellent but most installers fit them to the ceiling which is not a recommended position ( gas safety regs installation and use )
You maybe thinking of lpg which is definitely heavier that air and will sink into voids / drains and ducts etc

A plumber previously told me it sinks and builds up, so ive got one at ground level near our boiler..... then a log burner company said they should be above the height of the appliance, so i got a second and stuck it up on the top of the cupboard 🤣
I might get a bank of them, spaced every 100mm up the wall 😆

A plumber previously told me it sinks and builds up, so ive got one at ground level near our boiler..... then a log burner company said they should be above the height of the appliance, so i got a second and stuck it up on the top of the cupboard 🤣
I might get a bank of them, spaced every 100mm up the wall 😆
Well a lot of ( not all) ain’t got a clue about c/o of the customers I visited over many years that had a c/o either had it in the wrong position or it didn’t even work. Of all the additional products we were expected to promote and sell I was extremely passionate about these small inexpensive alarms . Being involved with c/o incidents where a customer had been hospitalised due to c/ o poisoning they most often fell into the above scenario-alarm fitted in wrong place or no longer working- it of course comes down to the amount of c/o in ppm in the room / the more the concentration and lack of ventilation can affect you very quickly and the older or if you already have underlying health conditions the quicker you will be overcome. Tbh a serious exposure should you survive can leave you with life changing health problems including brain damage. I’m not good with links so I’ve screenshot this . I’d urge anyone with gas appliances or any solid fuel ( coal coke wood burners ) etc etc to google the effects and symptoms of c/o poisoning and how to effectively prevent it -especially those of us with elderly parents or family members who live alone . Also if the appliance relies on a specific air vent direct to outside ( any open flued appliance- certain gas fires, back boiler/ fires and warm air units ) to name but a few to ensure these vents are not blocked or covered over or restricted in any way. If In doubt get it checked by a reputable gas safe engineer. Old folk love to cover these vents due to the cold air coming through ( especially in winter )

Attachments

• 670CB39A-7438-4F17-BE5C-F9BE97DC120B.png
    670CB39A-7438-4F17-BE5C-F9BE97DC120B.png
    250 KB · Views: 0
  • C6E32652-9B17-4DDF-A954-F0D38E58A8E3.png
    C6E32652-9B17-4DDF-A954-F0D38E58A8E3.png
    259 KB · Views: 0
Obviously I have fitted a carbon monoxide alarm for precaution .

All processes of combustion, burn oxygen.

In a 'sealed' room any heater not taking in air from the outside will use up the oxygen within it.

No oxygen = death.

The fixation on carbon monoxide is a bit simplistic.

Happy new year.

Its a very expensive parafin heater for sure, I assume its some sort of refined space heater given that there is no wick the parafin has to be vaporised in some way?
As to carbon monoxide, its no doubt a killer in the right circumstances, but worth bearing in mind that a poorly adjusted gas cooker can also burn poorly, has no flue of any kind and yet its not I think a common killer given how many are in daily use? And I recall visiting an elderly lady, very warm and cosy home heated by an ancient gas fire mounted on an interier wall with no flue of any kind,,it hadn't poisoned her! So its worth having a monoxide alarm just to be safe.
I think if I wanted a heater I would also go for a diesel one, my mate fitted one in his boat, a cheap Amazon one, and said it was great, and red deisel is I think a good bit cheaper than parafin?

I think if I wanted a heater I would also go for a diesel one, my mate fitted one in his boat, a cheap Amazon one, and said it was great, and red deisel is I think a good bit cheaper than parafin?

Just fitted a diesel heater in my kitchen, red diesel today cost £ 1.36/ Litre. though heating oil is apparently 95p/Litre.
Researching the use of heating oil in diesel heaters tonight (sad).

Fired up for 1st time and used 3/8 Litre of fuel in an hour at the mid setting.
The heater claims to be 8kW though at least 1kW must go out of the exhaust.

Cost £ 130, plus £ 20 for a 10A 12V power supply.

Latest posts

Back