Painting wooden toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone tried painting wooden toys? I am really struggling trying to get a solid opaque glossy finish! I have tried acrylics but it turns out really transparent - even after a few coats. I have tried Auro green gloss paint, but again it is transparent. How do I get the finish you see on wooden toys in the shops? It is getting very frustrating! The best I can get is using chalk paint then finishing with wax, but it is still not that hard glossy finish I am am hoping for. Help!

Jimi

Hi wcndave. Thanks for the reply. Do you prime the wood first? I have been using Colson Knotting Solution. Do your acrylic paints come out transparent? Maybe I am using the wrong sort of acrylic - what make are you using?

Jimi

Mine are from a local Italian family hobby store, so not sure they're a big brand. I need two coats, and it's quite thick stuff, so not transparent.

No problem, hope its what youre after, try a test pot first as the bigger pots are quite expensive for what they are. I only just had enough for what I needed otherwise I would of sent you abit to try.

i've used the rustoleum acrylics, good paint, i used mine in an airbrush and the finish is great, use 3-4 thin coats but leave a good day between coats and a gentle flatten down, i use scotch pads not as harsh as a paper abrasive,

I use acrylic paints from Hobbies, there are a few to choose from and I have found their own branded paints to be the best. There are a couple of secrets for getting the finish you desire and it is quite simple. Firstly I don't bother with a primer and secondly most of what I paint is birch faced ply. You need to end sanding anything with a very fine grit, maybe 320 or 400. The brush is very important, forget the kiddies type of brush. You need a brush ideally that is 50% man made bristle and 50% sable or other natural fibre. Apply one coat and leave it overnight or 24 hours. some grain may have lifted and if so very lightly sand smooth. The apply the second coat and you will find it is a very professional finish. You can then spray lacquer if you wish.

Weirdly, it turns out that my problem was in painting it with knot sealant first. Counter-intuitively, the paint wouldn't stick to it and that was why it seemed so transparent. I have used the Auro gloss eco child safe paint that I originally bought and it has only taken 2 coats when putting it straight onto the bare wood.

Paint available here: http://www.auro.co.uk/

I've painted designs, lettering etc. on wooden toys using indian inks and fine brushes - Chinese calligraphy brushes in some cases. Very dense colours with little or no bleeding - assuming fine finish sanding to start with.

Polyurethane, two-component.
Varnish and hardener.

1196122235ede8cIMG_0324.jpg

tetris_blocks_by_decodrew-d7o0ggp.jpg

wooden_pawns_2_by_decodrew-d5f0vyy.jpg

wooden_pawns_by_decodrew-d5f0vkk.jpg

wooden_beads_by_decodrew-d57fsbl.jpg

Latest posts

Back