Painting Vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vono

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

In my current vice hunt i'm seeing a lot that look like they've been re-painted by Stevie Wonder using a trowel.

Has anyone any experience of getting this muck off vices, is it possible with nitromors or something ?

Also as i'd then be left with an erm unpainted vice, any recommendations as to what to do if i did want to paint it, I don't want to Hammerite one, what's good for a reasonably original looking finish?

Alternatively i've heard of boiled linseed oil & unpainted how easy is that to do ??

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Boiled linseed oil gives a great finish on old cast iron. It keeps things looking old but provides a finish which keeps them clean. It's dead easy to apply. It's what's on my vice. It's also on my lathe, an old treadle powered one by Barnes. I documented my strip down and rebuild of it on here.

Start at this post for some before and after pictures of the oil finish.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/i-blame-roy-underhill.72124/page-2#post-791779

Boiled linseed oil gives a great finish on old cast iron. It keeps things looking old but provides a finish which keeps them clean. It's dead easy to apply. It's what's on my vice. It's also on my lathe, an old treadle powered one by Barnes. I documented my strip down and rebuild of it on here.

Start at this post for some before and after pictures of the oil finish.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/i-blame-roy-underhill.72124/page-2#post-791779

That was brilliant thank you, not only from a cleaning & use of boiled linseed oil perspective (which looks great), but it was also really interesting.
At least I know a paint free one isn't the end of the world. I might also try that technique on the old Vono in the garage.
Much appreciated :)

Hello

In my current vice hunt i'm seeing a lot that look like they've been re-painted by Stevie Wonder using a trowel.

Has anyone any experience of getting this muck off vices, is it possible with nitromors or something ?

Also as i'd then be left with an erm unpainted vice, any recommendations as to what to do if i did want to paint it, I don't want to Hammerite one, what's good for a reasonably original looking finish?

Alternatively i've heard of boiled linseed oil & unpainted how easy is that to do ??

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Hello Friend,
Do you have a bit of knowledge of Vice's ? or were you just interested in paint jobs? !
I am trying to get info on the internal workings of a vice (No1 Record) and not having much success!
I have the vice stripped, and what looks like the compleat internals, but not too sure of reassembly
....alan P

Hello
Not much knowledge i'm afraid, i've got a few but haven't taken one apart.. yet !
Lots of very knowledgeable folk on here though who should be able to help you - best of luck with sorting it.

Thanks for your reply.. In fact NOBODY I have spoken to, has ever taken a vice to pieces !
(and of course, I dont know if I have any parts missing, or not1)... al.......

If you upload photos of what you have, I expect someone will be able to explain what goes where.

many thanks Andrew, will do that! (watch this space!) ....al......
(it never entered my head to do that !) wot a duffer i iz !

I've restored quite a few. Main thing is to strip them down to component form so you can mask them up properly to avoid the stevie wonder effect. I generally use a wire wheel in an angle grinder to get them ready for paint. Paint wise I use good quality enamel, I don't like hammerite.

Paint stripper, followed by a jet wash and then a wire brush in an angle grinder, followed by machinery wax if you want a very easy and natural look.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show a No1 type vice being restored, I've just done a No3, same thing, just larger

Aidan

I renovated an old 6" Record. 5 layers of paint etc. Strip it down, paint stripper, rust stop, blue paint and it's good as new?
The underlying metal was very solid, just rust / old paint and muck.

Thanks for your reply.. In fact NOBODY I have spoken to, has ever taken a vice to pieces !
(and of course, I dont know if I have any parts missing, or not1)... al.......
I've replied to your other thread on vice parts having stripped and rebuilt my three old record vices - not a lot to them, maybe 9 parts in total for each one :)

rgds
Gary

Hi Vono,

Forgot to say that the Hammered finishes of hammerite are very good quality and close to the original colours for the Hammered Blue and Greens for the Record vices - i finished one of mine in hammered green and it looks not blingy but factory :)

rgds
Gary

Hi Vono,

Forgot to say that the Hammered finishes of hammerite are very good quality and close to the original colours for the Hammered Blue and Greens for the Record vices - i finished one of mine in hammered green and it looks not blingy but factory :)

rgds
Gary

Hello Gary
That's cool, thanks very much :)

Latest posts

Back