Painting the machined edges of MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiler99

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way of getting a good finish on edges of mdf when they have been cut or machined in some way. I have researched and i see people say it needs to be sealed 1st. Can some one enlighten me more on this subject.

tiler99":1h9sundx said:
Whats the best way of getting a good finish on edges of mdf when they have been cut or machined in some way. I have researched and i see people say it needs to be sealed 1st. Can some one enlighten me more on this subject.

seal the edges with sanding sealer then sand them back when the grain has risen and dry , then repeat the proses after which you can finish as you wish

WOODBUTCHER

There a couple of other alternatives - what is referred to as "spackle" in the USA, ar otherwise called drywall joint cement (a very fine pre-moxed plaster-like compound) spread with the finger is a cheap and effective way to seal the edges, as is MDF sealer (made for the job) or even shellac/white French polish. I finfd the main thing is that edges require up to 3 or 4 coats for a good finish, flatted back between each coat.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit, i will "borrow" :wink: some from site next time i see it. (dry wall cement that is)

Doesn't someone (Jason?) recommend using wall paper paste?

Adam

I've used wall paper paste in the past to good effect. However the trick is as Jason says in the link above to use the densest MDF you can. MR MDF is definitely the way to go.

Cheers

Tim

Or mix PVA glue 5 to 1 with water sand edges with 80 grit paper then paint on mixed glue and allow to dry overnight, now sand again with 240 grit paper and that's it.

Dom

I've recently used Dom's method...it works great and a lot less messy than plasterboard cement.

I am doing a test at the moment with Wall paper paste, Ready mixed polycell filler wiped down over the edge and with Decorators caulk. I will try the PVA method tomorrow. Thanks folks.

George N":2o2j02f3 said:
and a lot less messy than plasterboard cement.

I think anythings less messy than that - thats why I stuck with thickly mixed wall paper paste - there's probably not much betwwen them all I imagine - basically any easy seal method is what you are after.

Cheers

Tim

tim":17nffk0z said:
I think anythings less messy than that - thats why I stuck with thickly mixed wall paper paste - there's probably not much betwen them all I imagine - basically any easy seal method is what you are after.
Yes, but on a rainy Sunday afternoon whate else are you going to find in the shed? :roll:

Scrit

Scrit":1jam6wl7 said:
Yes, but on a rainy Sunday afternoon whate else are you going to find in the shed?

In mine - well under mine - about 20 dead rats - smell is very poor indeed!

Cheers

Tim

Wasn't me who said wallpaper paste, maybe JFC?

I tend to just give it a good coat of Dulux Trade Quick Drying Primmer Undercoat, rub down with 180g silicon carbide paper then paint away. Thats usually with Caber MR MDF, not fluffy "contract" grade board.

Jason

Latest posts

Back