Painting over creosote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old shed in the house I've been in a few months.
Inside it looks (and smells) like its been creosoted and in places feels a bit oily. presuming it is traditional creosote, can it be painted over. (The outside is normal paint and in decent nick)
Thanks

Mark

As I'm aware, the only thing that will stick, and somewhat neutralise creosote is aluminium primer,
It's made to prime over any oily, tar finishes, and also coloured pigments bleeding through a lighter colour, read what it says on the tin, try and avoid the tall old stock tins, it's difficult to get the aluminium sludged at the bottom to mix, and you can't get a stick in there!
I use Dulux, but that may work out somewhat expensive, I googled Blackfriars, usually a good company £13.00 a litre fromany of their outlets
HTH Regards Rodders

When I was less experienced than now in 1983, I built a workshop reusing some window frames but needing new sills. In ignorance, I soaked them in creosote, determined that they would not rot.
Well that idea worked as they are still as good as when I fitted them but it is only in the last few years (some 30 years later) have I been able to get paint to stick to them without it blistering.
I'd not tried Al primer though. So Creosote is a great preservative but let it dry for 30 years before over painting.

I'd try the technical department at Zinsser. They have some great How To guides but bitumen and asphalt are the closest I could find to creosote. Their products are DBs.

phil.p":1bh1tpme said:
Yes, you could line the shed with hardboard or 6mm ply and paint that. Easier and better, really.

As Timothy and Phil.p have said, covering with osb or similar will make you're shed a bit stronger and as the Blackfriars works out at £1.00 a m2 and possibly better value.
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back