Painted shaker kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, another kitchen and yet again its a painted shaker, that's what everyone is asking for.

dsc0170dr.jpg

Loving the black AGA

dsc0193sl.jpg

dsc0230yd.jpg

Most of our traditional kitchens have solid timber dovetailed drawer boxes, usually either oak or ash.

dsc0165ck.jpg

hand made kitchens Herts

When you say its a painted kitchen, do you mean a spray finish or a hand painted one. If its a hand painted one do you paint it yourself or employ a professional painter.

We have a 600sq ft spray shop, but all our kitchens are hand painted.
We spray 2 coats of primer and then fit the kitchen, after the granite is fitted the professional painter comes in and does 2 - 3 hand coats.

The main reasons for this are:
1/ a sprayed finish can look tooo perfect, it looks a bit factory or production line
2/ a hand painted finish, can be repaired much easier than a sprayed finish
3/ we have 2 great fitters but when you are fitting a kitchen this size and with AGA men and granite men coming in and out, there is always going to be a little damage, hand painting afterwards covers up all the scuffs.

I would say this is an average size kitchen, it will probably take 2 weeks to make it, we always aim to install, including granite and hand painting in less than 3 weeks.

Great kitchen, looks really well designed and not at all cluttered.

Can I ask what under cabinet lights you use. I have found that our strip lights get quite hot and heat up the cupboard. I am looking at LEDs but your pictures make the lights look very white and some LEDs look a bit yellow.

What would you recommend for my kitchen to get that very white bright look?

Mick

MickCheese":2x0m64xm said:
Great kitchen, looks really well designed and not at all cluttered.

Can I ask what under cabinet lights you use. I have found that our strip lights get quite hot and heat up the cupboard. I am looking at LEDs but your pictures make the lights look very white and some LEDs look a bit yellow.

What would you recommend for my kitchen to get that very white bright look?

Mick

Led's can be a bit weak, we use Led's or low voltage spot lights, low voltage give the best light just use good quality ones or you will be forever replacing them.

The painter likes dulux or farrow and ball paint.

cracking looking kitchen but i would't have that shelf above the aga as it creates a shadow with the spots above.

very impressed though

Looks very nice!

Questions on the Aga stove, what is the fuel used and is it used for water central heating also or why does it have those hinged covers on top of the hot plates?

Hi Virtu, Agas are available in gas ,electric or oil versions. They do not operate wth a heating system although the manufacturers also make Rayburns which do and are also available to operate with solid fuel. The Chrome lids are to keep the heat in when the hobs are not being used :ho2

Ok, thanks! Then it's a Rayburn that would fit my house, lot of waste wood to burn on the lot.

Aga's are not very economical.
Based on Aga's figures the average Aga will use 9 months of a standard ranges running cost in a week.

Virtu...... if you want to see more Aga's, I did a blog on them about 2 weeks ago

Aga blog

what sort of paint is it? waterbased eggshell? or is it oil based product? I know the farrow and ball paint is reguarded as being very very good, and dulux has gone downhill drastically over the last 2 year on the oil based stuff because of the VOC regs

I think our painter now uses water based eggshell. Not sure of the brand.
I don't get too involved with that, the client and painter have a meeting prior to the fit to discuss the finish.

It interesting to see how some things are very different
over your way , but somethings are the same .

Same:
White/cream white shaker is very popular here
as well as natural maple ,birch ,cherry & mahogany .

Different :
But hand painting a kitchen , NEVER

Everything is a sray'd finish

Touch ups can be be sprayed on site using
turbine HVLP , for any touch ups required .

here is my last one , touched up on site after
granite

132_3205a-1.jpg

I have no problem with a sprayed finish.
However over here on a handmade framed kitchen,people don't want a sprayed finish it looks too factory, the handpainting is a signnature of handmade as such.

personally if you going to have it sprayed you may as well have vinyl wrapped, both look equally fake and too perfect

wysong":2a356ye7 said:
It interesting to see how some things are very different
over your way , but somethings are the same .

Same:
White/cream white shaker is very popular here
as well as natural maple ,birch ,cherry & mahogany .

Different :
But hand painting a kitchen , NEVER

Everything is a sray'd finish

Touch ups can be be sprayed on site using
turbine HVLP , for any touch ups required .

here is my last one , touched up on site after
granite

I have touched up on site with a small compressor as well, but what about in 5 years time, or 10 years, I don't want the hassle, I could charge but it's not a money maker, handpainting can be repaired by the client. Much less hassle.

Back