Overhead light beam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gambrill

Reaction score
I have acquired an led work light on a little stand. Only used it a handful of times as I have a couple of battery lights that I use for actual task lights.

Thinking of a simple beam 2-3m long with the light at one end (or the ability to move to 2 or 3 positions) then hinged at the other to attach it to the wall. Aim is to have it over the wall bench when out of the way then able to swing out over the main bench in the middle for additional lighting there.

Am I over thinking it? Would a couple of hooks in strategic spots be better? I fear that the light wouldn't get moved if I only used hooks.

If it is on a beam, it will swing in an arc.

Draw up a plan of your workshop and mark where you might want the centre of the light to be (could be multiple places).

In the simplest case of one position in use, you have three variables: the 'in use' position, the parked position and the fulcrum.

If you want the light in more than one usable place, assess how complex the mechanism would have to be to put it in those positions. Even if it slides along the beam, you have to address the cable management issue.

@ChaiLatte thanks. Exactly the answer I needed to get me thinking. The cable management bit has been grating. The lead is about 6ft so I'll need to extend it or add an extension lead. The latter will allow sanders etc to plug in too.

I think I have decided to design a kind of linkage like on windscreen wipers to make the reach longer. Should be relatively straightforward and allow for a long arc from the wall without having to reposition the light on the beam.

Perhaps a hinge in the middle(ish) of the beam. That way would allow the light anywhere within the maximum arc.
As for hooks, often the stiffness of the cable will dictate just where the light is pointing.

HTH, geoff

That sounds like a good solution and definitely in the KISS camp. One thing I would need to address with that is hinge stiffness. If I make them myself with dowels then I guess I could "tune" them. Don't want the beam swinging about or going back to it's own position when let go. Effectively stiff enough to stay put but not so much that it cant be moved easily.

Cable stiffness isn't an issue I don't think. It's fairly bendy on the light and any extension cable I get I'll make sure it's flexi enough while able to handle the amps.

Designs/concepts are coming on now I think. 3 options (single beam, bent beam and linkage beam). Need to start thinking about material now. I have a small selection of reclaimed bits from beds and some ply of various thickness (3, 6, 12 and 18) just not much of it.

how about an articulated beam.....thats with two hinges.....commonly called a dog leg....
or a telescopic tube.....thin wall metal telescopic tube is available on line......
3m is about as far u can go without special hinges and added stiffness......
easy to make a brake / stiffener to keep it still......
personally I'd go with the telescopic beam....with a HD modified farm gate type hinge.......
plenty of lightweight led lamps out there....
plus think about adding an air line to the beam, always handy....even a power point.....

This is clearly a positioning problem.
The industrial solution is either a gantry crane, or a tower crane.
A jib similar to a tower crane would put all hinges, and need for rotational friction, in the same place, on the main support. Which I assume would be a wall.
That would avoid the need for interesting hinges and reduce possible cause of sagging in the beam/arm.
Depending on the weight of the lamp, travel along the beam could be wheeled, think curtain track, or simply by hand, fixed by a clamp.
Have fun,
geoff

Screenshot-2023-5-31 Camera Gantry System - YouTube.png

Might give some ideas on the rail construction..

Back