Outside Office / Lodge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliGav

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

To be honest I haven't got a clue where to start! My other half has started to work from home (currently in the living room) and basically want to shift her outside! I have been looking at some outside offices but appear overpriced for what they are.

Does anyone have any experience of building an outdoor office and could anyone recommend any books etc which go through the process of planning and building.

Any help always appreciated!!

hi

maybe not the answer u want

buy some timber..build a big shed
insulate

job done

sure someone will come along with a more helpful solution
i must admit i did scribble a drawing on a scrap of paper before i headed off to sawmill to have some WRC ripped from a tree

Steve

How big a space does she need?
Have a look at Dunster. My mate Stuart is moving house (again) and is currently building his 3rd Dunster residence.
I'd be tempted to use them for a workshop if I thought they could do the size I want.
S

Hi,

What size do you need and what budget?

We have a 10' x 8' Chalet type shed which worked with insulation and lining. Am now building a workshop that I hope might be used as a studio or office if we ever sell the house. I think home offices will be increasingly in demand as more of us have flexible working arrangements.

Here's my 'shed' which is a work in progress. Budget is £8k and it should come inside that. Area is just under 30m2.

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin
Which company has supplied that? Or have you built it from scratch yourself?

I'm getting increasingly hacked off with the sales rep from the company I have chosen. She doesn't seem to want to take my money. I can see me writing to her boss. :(

S

Steve Maskery":2na8lvno said:
Hi Colin
Which company has supplied that? Or have you built it from scratch yourself?

I'm getting increasingly hacked off with the sales rep from the company I have chosen. She doesn't seem to want to take my money. I can see me writing to her boss. :(

S

Details of Colin's build are generously detailed here: my-new-workshop-t71387.html , I'm not envious at all, I'd hate one...

Hi, it is scratch built. The steel frame was detailed by me and bought in as a kit of bits. Anyone could do that, but I needed steel because of its size and position. Wood would be easier for most people. The rest I learned off here.

The downside is that it is a lot of work, but I'm sure I will look back fondly on all the shovelling and barrowing!

I doubt that I could have afforded a quality job if I bought it in.

Regards,

Colin

I built one of these over last weekend.
http://www.waltons.co.uk/4mx3m-greenacr ... -executive

I think it needs insulation and I need to put in the power but simple to assemble and looks decent.
1x big rubber mallet
1x cordless
1x handsaw
1x weekend (about 14 hours)
Job done

Initially I looked at using fence panels to create the cabin, but robustness and aesthetics were not too good, also the kit had pre formed doors and windows.
I know it won't appeal to those who want to create their own design, but its a good solution to creating a workshop in a weekend

It does depend on how much space your wife is going to need, and exactly what she is doing, but generally I say +1 for SteveF.

I'd pay particular attention to damp-proofing, insulating and fit something better than the usual ledged and braced door.
Where I live, I would consider stout interior shutters to cover the windows. (although personally I've never had a big problem with thieves.) Heating can be a problem; a friend of mine uses a large shed as an office. He heats it with a wood-burner. What the ramifications of that are I don't know, but I'd assume it needs special construction to avoid a bonfire!

Hi Colin
I've got PP to build this:

It is 8m x 8m and is SIP construction.

The company who quoted for it are being ridiculously non-communicative, so much so that I am considering finding a different supplier and writing a snotty letter to the original one.

S

Attachments

• workshop (Small).png
    workshop (Small).png
    216.1 KB · Views: 82
I kitted out a heavy duty shed for my wife to use as a sewing / quilting workshop.

. Doubled the felt

, insulated floor walls and roof

, fitted secondary double glazing to window

. Power

It had been a success and stood up well to the rigours of the north british weather for about five years so far.

It's best to use polyurethane foam boards for insulation rather than glass wool because although it costs twice as much it is twice as efficient. I used 70mm to fit within the depth of the wall and roof of my 5.4 x 3.6 workshop and an oil filled electric radiator on the lowest setting keeps it warm. For the windows I have lift-off internal shutter panels which give security and are also insulated.

Steve,

Clearly your shed could be built using traditional timber frame or the same techniques as mine, but it is perhaps more labour intensive on-site than a factory made sips package. Depends how much time you have? Access to the site was a big factor for me as our otherwise perfect 'retirement' home has poor access to the rear, just a narrow pathway on one side, the other is built to the boundary.

At the risk of stating what you already know, a supplier that in not communicative when selling something is likely to be a disaster when you have a problem on site. You should go elsewhere.

Regards,

Colin

Johnbee,

That looks a good solution for an office of that size. Obviously it will need to be carefully maintained to keep it in top order, but hard to beat at that price when you think how fast it went up.

I'd second the use of rigid board insulation as I expect your frame timbers are relatively small.

Electrics are something to think through before you get too far. I have a helpful electrician who will do all the connection and testing once I have installed the trunking and cable runs as I do the internal work. It's good to know that I have an expert telling me what to do as the distance from the house adds a few complications like a really big armoured cable to keep the voltage drop within limits and getting the earthing right.

Regards,

Colin

colinc":1n14ey4s said:
At the risk of stating what you already know, a supplier that in not communicative when selling something is likely to be a disaster when you have a problem on site. You should go elsewhere.

+1

Walk away and view it as a lucky escape.

I recently bought a security shed from these people www.vikinggardenbuildings.com in Stafford. They were very helpful, the shed is well made, it arrived when they said it would, the price was good and they put it up very fast. Erection was extra but I had a lot of other things to do with my time.

Back