Outdoor Wood Choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I want to build a BBQ structure (pizza oven and pellet grill) for our terrace.

I had a design last year and gave V1 a go. Used fencing timber/posts etc. The timber was in a bad state beforehand (not particularly straight) and has warped further.

Can I use a softwood (PSE/PAR) outdoors? Will it last if treated? What kind of treatment would be best?

As it's only V2, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on hardwood. Will save that for version 4 or 5.

Thanks

Add up the costs of versions 1 through to 4 and wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy the hardwood and go straight to 5?

PSE with a good dose of wood preserver holds up pretty well outside IME. Try to get the most resinous softwood you can though.

Just about as long as he has a good thermostat.
A good pizza will cook at 255c for 15 minutes.
Wood spontaneously combusts at 300c.
No probs. :shock: :shock: :lol:

sunnybob":3sexa7ph said:
Add up the costs of versions 1 through to 4 and wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy the hardwood and go straight to 5?
My skills aren't up to that. Both in terms of design and construction.

Probably cheaper if v5 was correct first time...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

MikeG.":m4d10tfu said:
Erm......a pizza oven out of timber? Are you sure?
Only needs to go to 500 degrees to do a 90 second pizza. I don't think it'll be long enough to catch fire. Plus I'll make sure there's plenty tomato sauce on the pizza as it's non flammable.

It's going to house my GMG Daniel Boone. And Uuni 3 pizza oven. Both have cold feet. Just need to be careful of the roof as both pump out some heat. But I want to be able to leave them both outside and not care about the rain.

A table/bench.

With a roof.

Iroko would be a good choice. Look at the price difference then think how much it would cost you to remake it all again when your cheaper timber rots out. That's why I never make anything exterior from softwood. The extra few quid for materials is well worth it imho.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Allow a good 12" minimum between the top of the oven and the wooden roof. Heat rises and the wood will definitely discolour even with a short cooking time.
Try a rear sloping roof with an oblique vent to allow the hot air out but still keep the weather at bay.

Beau":39oqrpnw said:
PSE with a good dose of wood preserver holds up pretty well outside IME. Try to get the most resinous softwood you can though.
Thanks. If it lasts a year or two I'll be happy anyway.

sunnybob":16ubbu55 said:
Allow a good 12" minimum between the top of the oven and the wooden roof. Heat rises and the wood will definitely discolour even with a short cooking time.
Try a rear sloping roof with an oblique vent to allow the hot air out but still keep the weather at bay.
It'll have decent clearance due to head height anyway. Any example images of your roof design suggestion?

Thanks all.

no examples, youre the first person I know who is building BBQ with a pizza oven! :shock:

But hey, no problem, I like pizza a LOT more than I like BBQ (except sausages of course).
But I always build for the worst case scenario, rather than the "oh, that wont happen while I'm around" scene.

If the oven was left on for example, how hot would it get above? If something caught fire inside while you were slurping (sorry, talking) with your guests?

I'm just thinking of a slightly sloped roof with somewhere for the overheated air to continue rising.
build it strong, build it once.

Uuni 3 is a thing of beauty. I'd love a Roccbox but they're £500. I'd DEFINITELY spend the money if I lived in Cyprus. Gateshead, not so much!

GeordieStew":bcrprssc said:
Beau":bcrprssc said:
Thanks. If it lasts a year or two I'll be happy anyway.

If you go down this route make sure you soak all cut ends and any joints before assembly and don't design in any water traps. Make sure you paint every screw hole with preservative before you screw anything up. Any weak spots and you'd just as well not bother.

Strangely, we have given up on BBQ's.
We live on the edge of a village and the winds can be strong enough to even knock out a gas BBQ let alone a wood or coal one.

My normal kitchen oven cooks a magnificent pizza (lidl deep crust pepperoni) with the minimum of fuss.
Take it out the oven, take three steps into the garden, and no one could tell the difference.
8) 8) =D> =D>

I'm planning/designing something similar, but not with the same heat inside. for my Bradley Smoker. I was thinking of using Western Red Cedar cladding, on an untreated softwood frame.

HTH,

Chris

clanger":2a1ai6qg said:
I'm planning/designing something similar, but not with the same heat inside. for my Bradley Smoker. I was thinking of using Western Red Cedar cladding, on an untreated softwood frame.

HTH,

Chris
As this is only an early version, I think untreated softwood may be OK (for me).

Not too worried about the temperature as can build a cowl to redirect where necessary. My pellet grill won't be running too hot and pizza oven is only on for short times (60 second pizza).

The roof... I'm torn about what to use.

Back