Outdoor green oak, oil suggestion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just finishing a bit of work for a cafe making some outdoor garden furniture out of green oak. A few bench's and some tables.

The legs and seats are made from oak and the backs of the bench's are made from boards of cedar.

My question is, the client wants to use a fairly eco friendly oil (aka not pure chemical badness) that will work well on out door furniture.

Would Danish or just standard Liberon finishing oil be up for the task?

It can't be too expensive because there is quite a big surface area to cover.

Thanks, George

On outdoor oak any finish is pretty temporary and purely cosmetic as it survives so well anyway. Why not just leave it to turn that nice silvery colour - the most eco friendly option of all?

Jim

If you choose to leave it to go naturally silver/grey, you might want to apply linseed to some ends to prevent them drying out to quickly, so the wood is less prone to twisting etc.

Jim and Trig have the answers I think, I'm planning to do a little outdoor oak furniture next year and don't intend on applying any finish. I have to re-do the pine bench in varnish every year here, it's a right PITA

Latest posts

Back