OUCH - Got Bit.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcleod

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it had to happen.

Despite being careful with the tablesaw, the jointer and the thicknesser and remembering the words of everyone who has ever taught me how to use tools, I got bit...

Was using a biscuit jointer on Sunday, had cut most of the slots on the new bathroom cabinet I was making, and thought, just want to run a test to make sure this will fit, and next thing I know the end of my left hand index finger is nicely chewed up,,,,

4 hours later in A&E and I'm released with a nice would dressing and having the dubious honour of being the only DIY injury they had that day.

The finger will heal, but will now make sure that I do two things in the future;
- stop for the day when I have to think out how to solve the same problem 3 times,,,concentration has gone and its time to stop,
- make sure that everything I cut with the bleep bleep biscuit jointer is secure to the bench and my hands are well out of the way...

And my wife's only comment,,,,'you muppet'

Just call me Fozie....

Happens so fast, and usually when you're tired - should have never gone in when I did mine, dog tired and made a mistake :roll:

hope it heals quickly

BedfordSaw":2azbo534 said:
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Hope you get better soon.

This must be a first.

Doesn't your company sell something to prevent such an accident? :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Gary":1vvhtna3 said:
This must be a first.

Doesn't your company sell something to prevent such an accident? :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

You might like to check my post history.

That was abit below the belt.

If it's any consolation I picked up a mortice gauge - a particularly nasty variety with points on opposite sides - at the wrong end the other day.

Hi fozie

Sorry to hear of your misshape , I read and reread you post but i cant see how you did it , on my biscuit joint-er the blade is hidden behind the face plate even when switch on till you push forwards to cut the slot for the biscuit to fit into and at that point the blade is inside the wood and cannot get in contact with any part of you . release the pressure when finish and it pops back behind the face plate . might be a good idea to say how it happen so to try and avoid the same happening to others . Hope it heals soon must be getting sore by now.

I hope it all heals up nice.

I hate those journeys to A&E more than anything in the world.

Just another reminder for vigilance and the fact that each of us is only a loose thought away from injury.

Get well soon

Thanks to everyone for the get well soon...

However!!!

Saturday had to make a return visit to A&E as the end of finger had swollen up to twice the size overnight.
After the usual 3 hour wait (well it was quiet!), got seen by a doc, and prompt sent to the plastic surgery trauma dept, who released the pressure, (I wont bore you with the gory details, but it was a a tad painful).

Plastics told me to come back today, and it got more painful as the wound was 'cleaned' by a nurse, OUCHHHHHH !!! and now up for a further two visits,,,seems the initial wound closed to quickly and has to now be cleaned and allowed to close slowly from the inside out, so I have to redress it twice a day and see a plastic surgeon on Friday,,,

so now have a left index finger that looks like the end of it was stripped along with a 1/4 inch deep groove running across it....

Still have no idea how the blade of the biscuit cutter came into contact with it, but very happy that it was;
a - the smallest size biscuit slot I was cutting,
b - only just caught the end of the finger,

Not going to post any pics of it,,,,unless someone has a real need to see the damage.

And at this point I am very happy that I'm not a woodworking professional and that day to day I drive nothing more than a keyboard,,it ain't until you loose the use of a finger that you realise how much you use it....

Sounds like it could've been much worse, but I hope it heals okay in the end.

It's always the ones you least expect as well - the ones most people would probably deem safest of all the power tools!

:)

Back