OSMO PERHAPS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large pine farmhouse table and 6 chairs badly in need of some TLC I have heard good things about OSMO oil and thought I might try it on this project, I generally use Danish oil but this needs a good tough dog and stain proof finish, so which one should I get or is there some thing better

I made a kitchen table from Birch ply a couple of years ago and finished it with 3 coats of OSMO Top Oil - excellent results and still looks as good as new (we have use the specific OSMO cleaner - if that makes a difference?) Using the same stuff on a pine table that hade been sanded back quite hard was equally good.

Have used Osmo on new pine floors and sycamore table tops and it's very tough stuff, now lasting well 10 to 15 years on. Easy to apply and a very nice finish. Nothing like a varnish, more like an oil finish.

I have been using Osmo on hardwood kitchen worktops and dining tables for over a decade and have never had a problem or callback. It is a great product. Far superior to rubbing oils for these types of applications in my opinion.

The thing I like the most about this product is that I am responsible for insuring the quality of the finish over the medium term. Years ago when I applied a few coats of danish oil on something I made that could come into contact with liquids, cooking oils and so on - such as worktops, tables, floors etc - I was relying on the customers themselves to keep up the maintenance regime with continual reapplications. And many - tempted to say most - don’t. If something started to look tatty after a few years some customer’s, instead of chastising themselves for not oiling their timber, are remembering the guy who took their money for something that looked new once and looks dissapointing now. Osmo avoids this problem.

Last edited:
. . . the slight downside of the OSMO oil is that it takes a while to dry/cure - other oils (IIRC a Fiddes product?) have pretty much the same effect but dry much faster.

Back