OSB for cabinet, can you neatly joint this stuff?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zak99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was toying with using varnished osb to build some visible meter boxes, anyone have any experience of making something decent out of this stuff. I've seen some apparently well made items on the web. I wonder how they jointed it. Some were mitred, it must be a puppy to avoid breakout.

Rgds

I must say I wouldn't use it personally, at least not beyond cladding a wall or similar but I guess it can take glue and a screw so at a push could be used if budget is tight. I would wonder why anyone would want to do that to themselves though?? I mean you're right when you say it'll be a pig to get any kind of finish other than the roughest imaginable.

I've never seen an edge cut on Osb clean enough that I would want to show, even with my 20tpi saw it looks very rough. Perhaps you could epoxy the cut edge and sand back? But sounds like a lot of effort.

F.

Random Orbital Bob":1xwzn4x6 said:
I would wonder why anyone would want to do that to themselves though?? .

Just for the industrial, warehouse sort of look Bob. I have seen some rather funky looking things well made out of it, if you like that sort of thing.

I'll have to come up with another daft idea for material (hammer)

There has been some really nice stuff made out of OSB in recent years. How refined the edges are I don't know but the overall aesthetic of it can work well, even in something for the home.

Related thread from early last year: OSB for Kitchen Unit Doors??

A year or two ago I stayed in an auberge in France that had a whole sheet of OSB fixed to the wall and varnished as a "feature".Its no longer listed with booking.com.........

For the OP's intended purpose I would choose far east ply or MDF as they will both take a coat of paint or emulsion to blend in with the rest of the room.My opinion is that OSB is best used for such things as blocking access to work areas or trenches.

yf6-jpg.30567

This boat was built for the boss of an American company that makes the stuff and the structure is actually OSB as well as the name.

yf1-jpg.30562

I doubt he will recoup his outlay when he comes to sell,but on the other hand I suppose it will have been a tax deductible promotional expense and thus won't set an example for the rest of us.

I lined the walls of my workshop with OSB last year and my prolonged exposure to the splintery nasty stuff has made me hate it with a passion. Material of last resort for me I'm afraid!

I made a set of industrial looking shelves with it and routered bullnose with no breakout. You could use clear resin on a cut edge to give it strength for joints other than butt joints. could be quite good.

We had a recent kick starter vegan restaurant in a local town and they laid the floor with OSB and a heavy protective coat. Have to say as much as I hate the stuff the floor looks just superb. Would never have thought in a million years of using it myself for that application but would definitely consider in the future now.

Latest posts

Back