Ornamental plasterwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirocosm

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone near Norwich that in addition to woodwork, dabbles in ornamental plasterwork for a hobby? I would be interested in trading molds and models.

This is the kind of stuff I am thinking about (from previous projects)

Plaster4.jpg
Plaster3.jpg
Plaster2.jpg
Plaster1.jpg

The first room in the house is going to have a pattern on the ceiling similar to that in pic 3. You can buy the straight molding, but not the curves, as they need to be the correct size for the ceiling rose. You can run them with plaster, adjusting the pivot point for the size of you rose:
RunningPiping.jpg

The tool was made with a piece of plastic cut to the right profile (an old card), with some wood support:
PipingCutter.jpg

The leaves were cast from the straight molding:
Leaves.jpg

The leaves were then stuck to the curves and pointed. Here is the mold ready to pour the mother mold:
MotherMold.jpg

And the casting:

Casting.jpg

Casts.jpg

The tool was made with a piece of plastic cut to the right profile (an old card), with some wood support:

In the old days, with a metal profile for longevity, this was known as a "Horse" - especially for long lengths made in a former, that was often, but not always, at ninety degrees.

And, forming a length with it (very energetic!) was: "Running the horse" - from which MAY come the phrase: "horsing about"?

Great fun............ I had a go at this myself, in our old house. The roof had leaked over the bay windows, and caused a whole section of cornice to be damaged. There had also been bomb damage during the war where sections of the ceiling and cornice had dropped.

It had originally been run in situ, with I believe a lime putty and plaster of Paris mix , with the corner joints done with ruling-knives. I, however, ran the elements on a bench just as you have done. I used wooden laths and hessian scrim to reinforce the back of the moulding. And the profile was cut from zinc sheet.

I had to cast missing sections of a delicate filigree that ran around the ceiling rose as well. Each little finger of this was reinforced with a match stick sections of wood. I left all the paraphernalia I put together to do this for the new owners . when we moved house.

Here is a device to sand the castings flat use drywall sanding screen. I should make one with slots and a hole to attach a vacuum.
PlasterSander.jpg

When gluing them up I use nails to position them.
PlasterNails.jpg

It now looks like this, still needs a little pointing.
PlasterCeilingMasterBedroom.jpg

Back