Oriental styled tea cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Thought I'd post a couple fo recently completed projects to see what you all think.

This one was a commission to make a 9-drawer cabinet to hold tea - hence the oriental feel.
The design was left to me and the only stipulations were on size and the wood to be used which had to be purpleheart and 'a pale wood' (I used sycamore) for contrast. After much debate I managed to talk the new owner out of a purpleheart top and bottom with the rest in sycamore
:roll: :shock:

To work the contrast, I used purpleheart pulls and a lower drawer and the main drawers all have purpleheart sides and bottoms with hand-made sycamore dowels to give a nice contrast as the drawer is opened.

Top was toughest part to make!

395883_l.jpg

395884_l.jpg

395885_l.jpg

395886_l.jpg

395887_l.jpg

Tony - I like this a lot, it's got a nice 'feel' to it...very classy. Your statement about the top being 'hard to make' has to be a bit of an understatement :lol: I'm not sure how I would have done that, but it looks like you've done a cracking job on it - Rob

That's a beautiful piece. I'm not really a fan of purpleheart, but it looks great here.

Cheers

Karl

I think some curved sole planes set fine and working across the grain is how I'd tackle that top. The flat section could be done with a small fine smoother, again working skewed or across the grain. Probably bandsawn out to start with and finished off after planing with card scrapers and sandpaper...tricky whichever way you slice it though - Rob

Excellent craftsmanship and a very nice design, Tony. I like the look of the smaller Miller Dowels on the drawers. The contrast also works very well, there.

That is a cracking looking piece. Really super.

Any wip shots? Would love to see how it is constructed.

The contrasting woods do look great too.

What more can I say but perfection. I love the contrasting woods, and would like to also see it in Sycamore/Ebony.

Cheers

Mike

I'm very impressed, Tony; that's beautiful. I particularly love the oriental styling and the choice of timber.

I can't remember seeing anything you have made before. I had you down as one of the 'All The Gear But No Idea' brigade! :lol:

I was obviously mistaken.

When are you going to get your teeth into one of those Becksvoort chests?

Cheers
Brad

EdSutton":1nwpw300 said:
Whats the pull out thing for?

Ed

To write each tea type on - they have 9 different types of tea they regualrly drink. The paper is held in place with 4 tiny pieces of blutac, so easily replaced as needs require

Latest posts

Back