Orangery storage cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the second piece https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=111918#111918

It lives in a large orangery that is used as a living room. The brief was to provide coat hanging space as well as some general storage plus hiding the fuse box and some stereo stuff. It also needed to be 'a bit grand'.

The design borrows from elements in the room ie the arch details and the pediment which matches the pitch of the roof. The grilles will have cloth behind them at some point but they were used to lighten the appearance and reflect the cast iron grilles in the floor.

Construction (as per with me :roll: ) is birch ply and painted tulipwood. Its actually an off white paint but looks really blue in certain light.

DSCF0049-large.jpg

DSCF0050-large.jpg

DSCF0051-large.jpg

DSCF0052-large.jpg

DSCF0008-large.jpg

As usual, comments welcome.

Cheers

Tim

Both pieces are very impressive Tim - well done.
Do you buy that trellis stuff? How do you paint it - spray? How did you scribe that piece to the wall?
Your clients have a very nice house :).
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon

Trellis came from www.justgrilles.co.uk . I sprayed it - nearly got to the point of spraying it with petrol and adding a match - its such a pain.

Scribing was done carefully - I use the veritas log scribe http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32577&cat=1,42936,50298

which is very robust and easy to use. I then ran a dryish sand cement mix into the small gaps and brushed out a day later.

Confidentiality prevents me from showing you the rest of the house but it is incredible and they are also really nice people.

Cheers

Tim

:) - shame they don't come ready painted!

I can't get my head around that Veritas gadget - but it looks the business. Mind you scribing always seems to confuse me more than it should :oops:. Anyway nicely done - I would be scared to have a glass of wine in my hand in that house let alone be messing around with cement ;).

Cheers

Gidon

Lovely job there Tim, I realy like that and the efforts at the design stage show through in the finished piece

Stunning pieces Tim., thanks for sharing.

Hand painted wallpaper eh? Now that is posh. Can't help but be intrigued as to what the rest of the house looks like.

Come to think of it I've got some hand painted wallpaper, and hand crayoned, hand felt tipped etc etc :lol:

Andy

Great Job Tim.

Hand Painted wallpaper! Thats not posh, all my wallpaper is hand painted.

By George (5yrs old) and Sophie (2Yrs Old)

:D

Seriously, thats very nice work Tim. Well Done.

lee.

Edit - D'oh Andy beat me too that joke :oops: -Must Type Faster...

As usual Tim great work for some nice clients! Don't suppose you have any "in progress" shots of the build?

Don't suppose anyone has any methods/tips for scribing.....I have a job coming up that is going to require some scribing work and could do with a little help!

SimonA

Looks great - certainly don't envy you with that lattice though! Phew - sounds hard work!

Adam

Back