Orange SoD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

Established Member
Reaction score
As the owner of a Windoze laptop (a mistake I won't be repeating btw), I have been becoming more and more familiar with the good old Blue Screen Of Death. However this morning I was suddenly presented with a totally orange screen: no messages, no script telling me that the machine had crashed, nothing.

Has enyone come across this before?

And of course this was while starting to through the new posts on this forum, so now I don't know which they are. :roll: Please can we have an option to only have posts marked as read if we have actually read them or explicitly choose to mark them as read?

No, never come across an OSOD - and in my previous job I was responsible for software and hardware support for hundreds of computers for more years than I care to remember. The only time we got odd displays like that was when the graphics card wasn't properly seated or the monitor cable wasn't plugged in properly - but with a notebook this is less likely as the screen will be connected with a flexible connector and the graphics circuitry is probably on the motherboard.

It also used to be the case that with these types of problems that you got a pattern of beeps when you started the machine and this aided diagnosis.

If it were me I would take the machine back to the place you bought it and get it repaired under warranty (if possible). Repairing notebooks is always a PITA as most components tend to be specific, whereas a desktop PC is easier with its standard components.

My initial thought was that your notebook had been "Tangoed", but decided that was a cruel and unhelpful diagnosis.

MisterFish

misterfish":3q47dz2q said:
If it were me I would take the machine back to the place you bought it and get it repaired under warranty (if possible). Repairing notebooks is always a PITA as most components tend to be specific, whereas a desktop PC is easier with its standard components.
If it starts happening more regularly then I might but, as you know, intermittent faults are a royal PITA to diagnose and fix. And as it's a Dell it will mean being without a computer for a few days while it is returned to base.

misterfish":3q47dz2q said:
My initial thought was that your notebook had been "Tangoed", but decided that was a cruel and unhelpful diagnosis.
:lol: :lol:

Nick W":qwjjdony said:
And as it's a Dell

Well at least you can be sure that support and spares will be available, unless it's a really old machine.

We used Dell for all our notebooks and desktops because we found them pretty reliable and also because backup was readily available.

Have you tried ringing Dell tech support. They can be a bit annoying in that they ask what seem to be some silly questions, but in many cases they solved problems over the phone - the thing is that once they have the tag number they then know the exact specification of the machine and can deal with things accordingly and help with diagnosis.

MisterFish

Back