opinions please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave

That bandsaw is very similar to the (not much) older Axminster 4300 model that I have, and it is a very good bit of kit. If you do go for it, it will be an even better machine if you put a better blade on it than the axi ones.
Wrt the dust extractor, I used one for a while and its also a very good bit of kit.
I'm actually selling mine on as I have recently upgraded to a larger model, so if interested we may be able to do each ither a favour :D

You 10% off if you buy instore at the new store on their official opening days as well.

Hi everyone thanks for your input!! :D

Sadly i'm not very local to the new store :( but seeing as i'm going to be buying some more bits from axminster at the same time i could try phoning and see if they could knock a few % off :wink:

Thanks again!

David

I've looked at the bandsaw and the spec says that it'll take a 3/4" blade...which means to fully tension a blade you'll need to fit a 1/2" which is a tad on the small size for deep re-sawing, which clearly this saw will do. For deep re-sawing I think on a machine of this size you need to fit and fully tension a 3/4" blade...I'd be inclined to look at one of the Jet models which take a wider blade, though of course, more shekels :cry: - Rob

I've had the ADE1200 extractor for twelve months now and I'm very happy with it. My only gripe is that perhaps I should've bough a slightly bigger machine - on some jobs, I can fill up a few bags with sahvings from the P/T relatively easy - but, that's always the way, isn't it?! :D

One thing I will point out is that this extractor isn't ideal for collecting fine dust (sanders and saws). All the very fine stuff (particularly MDF dust) escapes through the top filter bag and back in to your workshop (and, of course, your lungs!!). :?

There's no upgradable fine filter cartridge that will fit this extractor either. If you went for something like the ADE 2200 though, you could buy an optional cartridge to fit that. You may lose some of the airflow and it ain't cheap! :shock:

Record Power do the CX 2600 extractor - very similar to the ADE1200 in spec. And, you CAN buy a fine filter cartridge to fit on top (sadly, it won't fit the Axminster model). Might be worth considering. :wink: To be honest, I wish I'd go for the Record now as it would save me having to use my noisy HPLV extractor... :roll:

That bandsaw looks interesting and, at that price, the specs. are quite impressive. Is this is a new model or, have they just slashed the price? It looks vaguely reminiscent of one the bigger SIP models... I could be wrong. :)

I guess the best thing is for you to get over there and have a look for yourself. Rob's got a point about blade tensioning too. But, I think he's forgetting 5/8" wide blades! :D I use a 1/2" blade for resawing on my little saw and don't encounter much trouble. I've also used thin-kerf 5/8" blades, which put less of a strain on the saw's frame, allowing you to tension them properly. I don't know whether 3/4" blades are available with a thinner kerf (0.020")?

Hope this helps and, if you do go for that bandsaw, I for one would be interested to hear how you get on as I'd like to one day upgrade my 12" saw and have just added this to my shortlist!! :D :wink:

OPJ":37jtvpcc said:
I guess the best thing is for you to get over there and have a look for yourself. Rob's got a point about blade tensioning too. But, I think he's forgetting 5/8" wide blades! :D I use a 1/2" blade for resawing on my little saw and don't encounter much trouble. I've also used thin-kerf 5/8" blades, which put less of a strain on the saw's frame, allowing you to tension them properly. I don't know whether 3/4" blades are available with a thinner kerf (0.020")?
Olly - you may well be correct. The now long departed Scrit :( late of this parish, always maintained that to correctly tension a blade you needed to go a size smaller than the max recommended for the machine. However, if you were to get hold of some very thin 14thou thick blades (Axminster do them but you need to ring up to order) then you'd probably get away with fully tensioning a 5/8" blade.
I use a 5/8" 14thou blade on my Incra and that'll re-saw 150mm oak without any problem - Rob

Couple of other things have come to my mind on choosing a bandsaw...

If you're prepared to pay several-hundred pounds on a brand-new machine with some serious capacity, there are a couple of features I would personally look out for:

- Quick-release tension lever for efficient blade swapping.

- Rack-and-pinion mechanism for the table tilt, which makes it much easier to get a precise setting.

Sadly, neither of these points are mentioned in the description or spec. of the Axminster bandsaw. :( That doesn't mean to say they're not there though; best get in touch with them. This one does have two extraction ports, which I really like.

Hi guys haven't had a chance to reply until now (thanks to Natwest... and spending the day down at my new workshop :D ) anyway i've been looking at some other bandsaws, in particular the Record 500 and the scheppach basato 4, the Scheppach seems pretty well made and is pretty good price wise (about the same as the Axminster one). hmm needs a tad more thourght i think...

Regards
David

One more thought... That Axminster bandsaw is quoted as having a 2,200w (3HP) motor, which means you may not be able to run an extractor at the same time if you're only working from a 13amp supply (unless you switch the saw on first, then the extractor, I think...).

Easiest way to sort this would be to fit ("have fitted" :wink:) a 16amp circuit.

Are you the same guy who's added me as a friend on Facebook:?: Your workshop looks pretty big so, I'm guessing you want a fairly large saw. Equally, if you're gonna be using this as part of your job then, I reckon a quick-release blade tension lever is even more important in a workshop with a table saw, as you may need to change blades fairly frequently, depending on the work you're doing.

Hi

Yes i am that guy! haha small world.

Yes i have thourght about the power problem, i have single and 3 phase in the unit, i am also going to have a few 16 amp sockets put in.

David

OPJ":u508toe6 said:
One thing I will point out is that this extractor isn't ideal for collecting fine dust (sanders and saws). All the very fine stuff (particularly MDF dust) escapes through the top filter bag and back in to your workshop

we have this dust extractor at work and i can confirm what olly says - its very good for picking up chip - but not for the fine dust. we have just laid out for a axminster mtm air filter to back it up for this purpose.

plus we have a few air aces and air sheilds if we are doing something really noxious.

Dave

That Rojek looks suspiciously like a green and white version of the Axi 4300 (same spec as well) :shock:
Also, needs 1600cuft/min extract (it says) and the ADE1200 is 1200 cuft/min?
Anyway, good kit.

Well done on the bandsaw front! :) I know they do look similar to some of the saws in Axminster's own range, but I'm sure Rojek stuff is still manufactured in the Czech-Republic, where as the 'White' stuff is probably done in the Far East.

I'm kind of pleased you didn't go for the Scheppach as I've heard mixed opinions on it. Although they still assemble their saws in Europe, I know that they are now sourcing more parts from China... Apparently, it does show in some places. :?

Then again, I think ByronBlack had a Basato 4 not long ago until he sold it (for different reasons). Can't remember hearing many complaints from him.

:tool: >>Has something gone wrong with the Axminster website?
I just looked into the Bandsaw section and it said,
"THERE ARE NO PRODUCTS IN THIS SECTION",,,,yikes

John. B

Back