opening range of K10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

János

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy a scroll chuck. I have found Axminster's K10 good enough for me, but I have been unable to find data about the adjustment range of the jaws on their homepage. Could any of you tell me more about this? I would like to use the chuck to hold onto smaller diameter (25~40 mm) spigots. Perhaps a small, F type jaw would be good for that... but who knows.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day,

János

The axminster site gives some basic info. for each jaw. (designed recess size )
DOVEBF_l.jpg

OD1_l.jpg

The catalogue gives a bit more info. I guess you don't have access to one though.
003[1].jpg
004[1].jpg

Safe carrier travel is approx. 15mm (30mm diameter)

Attachments

• 003[1].jpg
    003[1].jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 004[1].jpg
    004[1].jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 529
Dear Chas,

Thank you for the reply. I have searched on the internet for a small chuck to fit my 12 ins swing midsize lathe. I would like to turn some small items, and a scroll chuck would be more comfortable to use than the cup/jam chucks I use (easier re-chucking after seasoning of workpieces). I never had a scroll chuck before, and I must order it from abroad, as there is no supplier I know of in my country. So I am deprived of the opportunity of a direct encounter... :(

Manufacturers might think the adjustment range/travel range of the jaws an unimportant parameter... And Axminster says nothing about the presence or absence of jaw travel limiters in their chucks too, albeit a travel limiter is an useful safety feature.

I have found the Shorby Patriot impressive (their web page likewise says nothing about jaw travel, so it must be infectious), but pricey, an have not found a stockist selling chucks with M33*3,5 threads.

I remembered from the threads that quite a few of you have Axminster chucks, so have got personal experience about their quality and capabilities.

As a last resort, I might ask the customer service of Axminster. :wink: They are kind, I know....

Have a nice day,

János

János,
The Safe carrier travel is approx. 15mm (30mm diameter) for most 100mm scroll chucks, how much of this travel is available is down to how close the adaptor jaws will close up.

The 80mm jaws for instance will close tighter than the 100mm versions. (all same fitting on axminster chucks.)

But only jaws with a serrated gripper surface will be able to make maximum use of this travel and maintain the same gripping capacity.
Dovetail jaws only have optimum grip at their design diameter.

The Axminster chucks I have don't have limiters on the carriers.

The 150mm axminster chuck has a 40mm diameter design travel, (45mm with care)

Dear Chas,

30 mm in diameter would suffice for my purposes. I am going to turn some very thin-walled small boxes (approx. 4 mm, but only 2,5 mm in places, and, albeit I turned them from well seasoned wood, the prototypes showed some distortion after turning. These are "endgrain boxes", and the further drying after I finished the turning have made them oval a little, enough to interfere with fit /a difference of 0,5~0,8 mm in radial and tangential shrinkage in ash at 80 mm diameter/), and rough turning the lids and bodies might help to alleviate the distortion problems, but re-chucking a half-turned piece into a cup chuck would be a real pain (as the spigots themselves change their shapes and sizes with the rest of the piece, and the thinned down sections might break as I try to drive the piece home), if possible at all.

Your answer was really helpful, thank you again for that.

Have a nice day,

János

Back