Open a woodturning shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yrag1964":3br8trka said:
....... the rent for the shop is 5k per annum .....
Add to that the cost of being there (wages for somebody, or your own time, heat, light, travel), the cost of the stock etc etc and you will need a very large turnover to even start to make a profit.
But if you start as an online shop the rent is zero, you don't need to be in permanent attendance and you can manage with little stock - or even no stock at all if you can turn it around from the suppliers quickly enough. You can make a profit with very little turnover.
Having a "shop" makes no sense at all except perhaps as a sideline if you are getting enough trade on-line.
It's a bad idea - don't do it!

Depends on what you're hoping to achieve... I think the diversity of what you're proposing is a terrific idea and there's no reason why it wouldn't work if you're looking to cover costs plus additional income to supplement pension, rather than making a huge profit. There's definitely something to be said for working in a pleasing environment, surrounded by ever changing beautiful objects, coming into daily contact with like-minded, interested people and not necessarily making huge amounts of money. Payment comes in different guises.

I have to admit though it's a case of "I would say that, wouldn't I?" ;-) because it's a similar idea to what I'm working towards doing here - workshop/studio and gallery space which will include work from other people in the same way you're suggesting. Though I'm living 'over the shop' in a one-bed flat. I've a small income from something else, am old enough to draw private pension if I need, but prefer not for now. (state pension date keeps moving further forward each year it seems!!!!) so am looking more for quality of day to day life rather than making a fortune. This area is quite touristy and therefore winter's can feel long and quiet, but this is just factored in by the local 'commercants' and hours/holidays etc are seasonally adjusted/taken to suit.

Summer hours might for instance be 9h until 19h, staying open through lunch, seven days a week for the highest two months. Then in the winter it could be 10h-12h then 14h-18h Tuesday to Saturday - closing at lunchtime. Dependable regularity is what counts more than total hours, people are creatures of habit.

I do hope you manage to make it come about!

Back