Ooops...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
First chance I had to christen my vicci today but didn`t quite turn out as expected.
Thought I`d have a go at a square edged bowl with matching lid and black finial similar to the one Tracy did in WT (April).
Had a nice piece of Ash 10" square and it went well inside and out

Then thought I`d clean up the edges on the disc sander * bad mistake* and

Bo**@%£"
Ah well back to the drawing board.

(Note- Lathe works brilliantly shame about the plonker using it )
:? :? :?

Steve

Here's a tip: Sand by hand with the lathe off when turning square stuff ;)

ahhh shame about that steve, it looks like you got a good finish on the ash though, which is more than i ever did.
What depth is the wood, you didn't say.

Next one will be wonderful im sure !!

I was wondering myself how the edges would be finished while watching Bobs videos, and saw he planes his staight edges - maybe thats an option ?

loz

Wizer - thanks for the tip it was something I thought about and had success with the disc sander in the past with thicker stuff but this was about 4mm on the edge, I used the whole 12" disc of the sander so the half on the upstroke
did the damage.

Steve - it was about 3" thick but the walls about 4mm (ok to use old and new money??) :lol:

loz - I think Bob used a spokeshave on his square bowl edges, not something I`ve ever had maybe a gander on ebay beckons :D .

Steve

That is a shame, it was looking great.
Years ago my dad had a punch with his initals made. The first time he used it was on a finished bowl and the bowl cracked, it has never been used since.

Have you ever noticed that these cock ups happen just as you're coming to the end of a project which you are particularly proud of :evil: :evil:

That was looking like a really nice bowl there Steve. It's just so frustrating ain't it!! Still, there's always next time :roll: :roll:

Disc sanders can be a bit aggressive (I guess you know that now :oops: ) and I find they are not the best machines for getting a straight edge (or is that just mine :? ) Probably best to get it as good as you can before turning and then just tidy up by hand at the end.

Better luck with the next one mate,

Richard

That`s a real shame Steve, it was looking great.

Have to admit i`ve had a couple of disasters using the disc sander :oops: , & have come to the same conclusion as Richard.

Hope you have better luck next time.

Steve,I think I would have to agree with Loz about Bob using a small plane,I think its called a block plane.L'm open to correction on that.
Abd it was a lovely Bowl maybe with a bit of thought you could cut the bad piece off and add a round piece on with steel pins or something.
Regards Boysie.

Bet youn said some rude woods :lol:

Looking at it it may be possible to resue it by carving the broken section into a specific shape. Have a go with a pencil and remove the straight edges of the broken bit, maybe go into the bowl section a little bit. It'd be a pity to waste what is essentially a nice looking piece

Just a thought

Pete

Hi Steve, great shame, it was a good looking piece. Now is the time for some creative artistic adjustments !!!!!

Mike C

Hi:
That is too bad. It does look like it was on the way to being a keeper.

I use a shokeshave, block plane or bench plane for the edges of my square pieces. Mostly depending on which one has been sharpened the most recently. :)

Take care
Bob

There you go Steve, Loz and me were both right, Bobs block plane is always the sharpest :lol: :lol: Bab luck about the piece try a salvage when you have time. REgards Boysie

Hi all
Well had an idea :idea: , What was to become the bowl part I think will become the lid so watch this space :lol:
Steve

Back