Online income tax form submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to do this without wanting to throw the computer out of the window and stringing up HMRC by their dangly bits?

Stuck and can't go any further. For example, I received some UK interest and it has already been taxed at source. I have not received any UK interest that is untaxed. There are two boxes to fill in, one for each type. Yet you cannot enter zero which is what I need to do for the untaxed. So to get round it, I entered £1 (by this time who cares that it should be zero...they can come and lock me up...I've lost the will to live trying to fill in this damn form) and that took me on to the next page which was all to do with pensions.

I don't have a State Pension yet but again it won't let me enter a f****** zero :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What a farce.

Can't help with your particular query, but in general, I found it very overly complex. I started filling in mine months ago, Thought I had submitted it but then got a letter a couple of weeks ago from them asking why I hadn't completed and filed it.
I still can't print it out, but did eventually get it in, just in time. Why they have to make it so complicated, heaven knows. I suspect it is some computing consultants trying to justify their extremely over generous contracts......

Don't enter zero just leave it blank, that worked last year.
There is other software available that you may find more friendly.

Hello Roger

I used to have a tax return every year and I've used the online form.

It was a bit laborious, but worked OK for me. HMRC may well have introduced 'new and improved' software since then, which might explain the problem.

One thing crossed my mind. Which browser do you use? Have a look at ..

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/information/ ... .faqcom040

Good luck and keep taking the Valium!

Cheers

Dave

Just filled mine in online for the first time. Thought I would give it a go rather than paying my accountant to do it. Much easier than I thought it would be except I had the same problem and as Oryxdesign says just leave it blank, why they don't let you put a zero in I don't kmow.

RogerS":2l5q6xuo said:
Thanks guys...a blank does it!

That's it then. The old form (IIRC) prompted you if you left a field blank.

There was an article about this in the Observer yesterday . HMRC are obviously aware that their software is not up to scratch and have published a form

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/carter/sa-reasonableexcuse.pdf

to fill in if you can't upload your completed file.

The article suggested that you print off any error reports you get and attach them to the form.

Might save paying a £100 fine.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":2clk3778 said:
RogerS":2clk3778 said:
Thanks guys...a blank does it!

That's it then. The old form (IIRC) prompted you if you left a field blank.

There was an article about this in the Observer yesterday . HMRC are obviously aware that their software is not up to scratch and have published a form

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/carter/sa-reasonableexcuse.pdf

to fill in if you can't upload your completed file.

The article suggested that you print off any error reports you get and attach them to the form.

Might save paying a £100 fine.

Cheers

Dave

Would have been helpful if they said that blanks were allowed. Ah well. At least they owe me money!

Spare a thought for me fellas. I looked at my client tax return list today 133 forms to go, all due by end Jan.

Had to give up golf on Sunday to work over. Not much shed time for me this month. :roll:

Tony.

Back