Ongoing Kitchen Project New photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightclan

Established Member
Reaction score
I just posted my first photo on General Woodworking. I now realise that I should have put it in projects.

Anyway here's some photos of my ongoing kitchen project. Haven't done any work on it for several months--other people wanting work done. Also, other work needing done on our run-down cottage. I'll add more photos as other bits get completed. SWMBO's getting impatient.

kitchen.jpg

Carcases made from melamine faced MDF. Face-frames, sides, doors and open cabinets made from American Red Oak (Imported by myself.)

kitchen2.jpg

No, I didn't make any of the birdhouses, etc. Too many big projects right now.

kitchen3.jpg

kitchen4.jpg

I've put sliding shelves in a number of places throughout the kitchen.

kitchen5.jpg

kitchen6.jpg

Homemade roll-out bin.

welshdresser.jpg

The dresser was made by my Dad and myself from free pallets. SWMBO painted it with a distressed finish.

Brad

Nice job!! Oh no i sound like someone from 'this old house'
Looks like a lot of TLC went into your kitchen, how long has it taken?
As I play with wood to pay the bills it takes me forever to complete projects for my own house!!

Julian

look lovely - great quality stuff - i am designing my kitchen at the moment and i hope it ends up looking as good as yours! What did you finish it with?

Sean

I stained it with Rustin's medium oak wood dye. I thinned this with 1 part white spirits to 2 parts dye. Caution, if you use this on white oak or European oak, it will be more brown--it will lose the 'warmth' that you see in these photos. To achieve a similar colour on white or European oak, use Rustin's light oak at full strength.

I then finished it with Coo-Var matte polyurethane varnish--3 coats, then sanded with 320-400 grit before a final coat of varnish. Then rubbed down with webrax and wax to make it incredibly smooth.

Brad

PowerTool":2dndyk4n said:
Looks great - couldn't you find a fridge freezer in oak ? :wink:

Andrew

I thought about doing a built-in fridge freezer. But SWMBO didn't want one. On that note, I did enclose it on 3 sides and top and bottom. I was careful to leave clearance all-round, based on mfr's recommendations. I also put a vent in the kick plate (Yankee term, I know--would it be skirting board here?). I also put vents in all the shelves from below the fridge to the top of the cabinet, allowing airflow up behind the fridge.

Brad

I think kickboard = plinth

And I think the whole lot looks fantastic :D (But then,oak is my favourite timber)

Andrew

That is just a super job Brad. A large project like that requires tremendous patience not to run out of steam before it is finished. I'm pretty sure SWMBO is proud of you. Pull out trays in the lower cabinets instead of shelving is to my way of thinking a very big improvement. No getting down on the old knee bones to get something from way in back. Also a place for serving trays is a good idea.

Lee

Here's the next installment in my own kitchen project:

kitchenmantle.jpg

Still a few details to finish. But you get the idea.

As far as the rest of the kitchen goes, there's (obviously) still a worktop and drawer front to go on the cabinet to the left of the cooker. There's also a top section to go on the same cabinet.

Brad

Back