Oneida Cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ports are a direct feed from the exhausts of the motors. So you can also use them as a blower. It certainly helps having an extension hose on them, just fed under the workbench out of the way. This also keeps warmed air in the workshop, rather than feeding it out of the window, which keeps the heater bills down at this time of year :)

Boz

I have fitted hoses to the outlets of my twin motor Camvac and out through a hole in the workshop wall. A standard kitchen extractor outlet flap finishes off the outside. It has made a considerable difference to noise levels. One disadvantage is not reusing the heat generated to warm the workshop.

I'll have to see if theres a way to modify the RSDE2 to have a port to the motor

OPJ":2h2bfxea said:
frugal":2h2bfxea said:
I am sure that one of this months woodworking magazines had a comment that if you attach a long hose to the top of the output port then you can funnel the noise away behind stuff (or out the window).

Yes, I think that was part of woodbloke's review of the Camvac in F&C. :wink:

That's a relief, it wasn't just the voices in my head telling me random things again ;)

Does re-directing that air in this way lead to a loss in performance. Intuitively I think it should as the extra length is really just more resistance but I am not sure if this is significant.

I have a triple motor version with a 100mm input but have it linked to a 63mm ducting system. I too could do with a bit more peace and quiet but am worried about over choking the system leading to over-heating?

S

Gower":1e7bu2h6 said:
I have fitted hoses to the outlets of my twin motor Camvac and out through a hole in the workshop wall. A standard kitchen extractor outlet flap finishes off the outside. It has made a considerable difference to noise levels. One disadvantage is not reusing the heat generated to warm the workshop.
THe hoses were supplied by Camvac and recommended by them.
Jim

frugal":2becbj22 said:
9fingers":2becbj22 said:
Not sure if the Camvac can be silenced? I could be wrong but I think the noise comes from using universal motors and a vacuum cleaner type fan.

Bob

I am sure that one of this months woodworking magazines had a comment that if you attach a long hose to the top of the output port then you can funnel the noise away behind stuff (or out the window).

I do this but the noise either stays in the shed, along with the heat or goes outside where it might disturb the neighbours. Of course, keeping the heat in the shed is desirable over winter and I sometimes switch it on just for a heat boost when I first go in.

Another option was a silencer design featured in the Woodturning mag a couple of years ago. I made one but it wasn't that effective.

My ideal solution would be to house the Camvac in a separate compartment outside the main shed, but I don't have a huge amount of room to play with.

Gower":36gvjnto said:

I have a twin motored 386 and it would be great to silence it a bit, but surely covering the outlet holes would cause the motors to overheat, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Mike

Krysstel":1fajqc77 said:
Mike & Miles - Just to clear things up, it was me that mentioned that the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust in the thread I started about my home made cyclone :D

Mark

Thanks for clearing that up Mark - sorry about mis quoting you Mike!

OK, so if I was to go down the drop box type situation and wanted to have
* HEPA or better filters on the end of the suction unit (after the drop box)
* Reasonably quiet
* sucking dust from sanding and chips from Thicknessing
* running a ducted system (to one machine at a time)
what would you recommend buying in terms of the sucking unit? I had been working on the principle that the cyclone is there the obsessive seem to end up so I'll start there!

Many thanks

Miles

Would the exhaust pipes just sit next to the motor or are they actually connected to the motor in someway? It looks like the motor on the camvac is inside the bin as opposed to the RSDE2 which has them on the top

RSDE2_75.jpg

OPJ":2uc0q0rh said:
frugal":2uc0q0rh said:

Yes, I think that was part of woodbloke's review of the Camvac in F&C. :wink:
Yup...take off the white exhaust ports, stick in a couple of long hoses and hide them behind something (but don't block the ends of the hose up) Reduces the racket by over 50% with no loss of suck. This was recommended to me by the main Camvac rep guy at Yandles last April so it's propa pukka :wink:...and it works. Will post a pic later if anyone's interested - Rob

The outlet is also really useful for cleaning out the inside of hollow forms whilst hollowing. I've made a couple of extensions using wood and thin plastic pipe so I can direct the air flow through small holes.
Also good for clearing dust out of various nooks and crannies in the shed.

just been looking at mikes home made dust collection - thinking i might have a go - i need a vacuum cleaner though...

can anyone advise if this cheap as chips 1400 watt argos basics would have sufficient power for it? only £25

Argos Value Range CJ062 Compact Bagless Cylinder Cleaner.
406/2556 - specs
* 1400 watts.

* 210 air watts.

* Hose length 1.5m.

* Ideal for picking up pet hair.

* Variable power control.

* 3 litre total capacity.

* 2 litre dust capacity.

* Dust bin full indicator.

Might be Ok but likely to be very noisy and I'd buy the optional £4.99 3 year replacement insurance too!

Possibly better to get something more industrial like a Henry?

Or an induction motor driven blower off ebay secondhand like this one - item 250532711770 and keep your sanity

Bob

thanks for the tip about the earlex - done a bit of research as there are two models (1100w) and (1200w)

wickes sell it under their own brand:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wet-n-Dry-Vacuu ... nvt/505031
£46.97 - basic model does not include washable filter
(extra £11.73 for the filter)

Argos earlex model up including washable filter#
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... EARLEX.htm
£60

machine mart basic model £45.98 but extra £17.24 for the filter
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... vac-blower

http://www.earlex.co.uk/Concepts/CombiV ... ction.html

thanks for the tip this looks like either model would be up to the job
previous post
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... lex+hoover

I have the 1000w one and its been very good, just got to remember not to overfill it as the suction will drop off. On that point the wet+dry filter is not as efficient as the foam and bag setup, and it too clogs up though both methods only require a quick tap on the side of the bin to restore suction.

Having been following through the various threads on dust extractors, I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction for the sources of larger diameter flexible hoses and possibly a matching threaded coupler.

I've a wet n'dry I got out of Aldis/Lidls some time back. It's much the same design as any of the cheap ones, though it does have the facility of a 13A socket for a power tool and sensing when that is powered on and off. I might be able to use that in some way as a remote start/stop capability.

Anyway its hose is standard vacuum cleaner size and blocks regularly (wood turning chips). This screws onto a plastic coupling on the machine body; it's a coarse thread some 67mm over the threads.

If I could get suitable hosing and couplings then the machine could go in the garage out of noises way via a dust box and the family could still use it for cleaning their cars - mine doesn;'t get cleaned!

Thanks for any help
OW

Back