Oneida Cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of their systems and wondered if anyone here had done so and what their impressions had been.

In a perfect world I'd really like to see/hear it in operation so if their happens to be anyone in the Kent/East Sussex area who has one and would be happy to show me I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks

Mike G showed us in a recent post about cyclones that you don't need to spend a lot on a dedicated proper unit...something just as effective can be lashed together for a few £'s. The thread was the 'backwards WIP' one on the projects forum iIrc - Rob

Indeed - there have been a number of home made cyclones over the last year or so I've been on the site however my concern is just how effective are they? I fully accept that they capture a significant amount of dust and stop you having to empty the vacum unit as often however do they capture as much of the "dangerous" dust as the pro units?

I note that Mike reported that "the cyclone sucked up everything I threw at it whilst the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust" however if you compare this with something that captures 99.x% of something stupidly fine and even closer to 100% of the visible stuff I wonder if the home brew jobs are as good.

I guess you have to balance the risks against the somewhat massive cost of the onida etc units.

I am still considering the purchase of an Onida unit - it will not be within the next 6 months as I'm too poor and don't really do enough work in the garage at the moment however I (and more importantly the Chied Accountant agrees) that the vacume unit is a safety critical system and therefore can have some serious cash spent on it if necessary.

Miles

I recently bought a Oneida Dust Deputy and connected it to my Camvac. The results have been excellent. No more cleaning the filters everytime you empty the drum. After emptying the Dust Deputy 4 times, the Camvac drum remains virtually empty. I'm sure you can make a cylone if your so inclined but if not, get a Onieda.
Cheers,
Jim

miles_hot":1oy3h8bf said:
I note that Mike reported that "the cyclone sucked up everything I threw at it whilst the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust"
Miles

Miles,

I can't find where I said that.......and I know I wouldn't have said that because there is no chip collector, and because nothing throws up any fine dust.

Let me be very clear.
Virtually no dust at all gets past my homemade box and into the vacuum cleaner, which I empty no more than once or twice a year (and which I also use directly for cleaning the car, and for DIY jobs in the house etc.). No dust whatsoever gets out of the vacuum cleaner. Therefore, the net performance of my system is that no dust gets into the air.

If that isn't good enough (!!!), you could always site the vacuum cleaner outside the workshop, in a box or an adjoining shed. You could also site the box outside the workshop if you wanted. It isn't necessary...........because not one single dust particle escapes the box and into the air until you open it to clean it out.

As I said in the thread, this is a hour-long DIY project using scrap. Give it a try on a Saturday morning, and if you want to you can still go out and buy a cyclone on Saturday afternoon.

Mike

I had a really good look at the Oneida systems on a recent visit to the USA, when I say really good, I was measuring the steel thickness with calipers, noting where the weld lines were etc, and in my professional opinion as a mechanical engineer there's nothing there you couldn't recreate with plastic, plywood or even the ubiquitous traffic cone, the dimensions seem to have quite a bit of tolerance on them and the finish inside can probably not be as smooth as we'd all like it to be and have it still work fine. I'm going to build one, one day, problem is finding a giant clear acrylic cone first...

Aidan

miles_hot":1kfdq3cl said:
Indeed - there have been a number of home made cyclones over the last year or so I've been on the site however my concern is just how effective are they? I fully accept that they capture a significant amount of dust and stop you having to empty the vacum unit as often however do they capture as much of the "dangerous" dust as the pro units?

I note that Mike reported that "the cyclone sucked up everything I threw at it whilst the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust" however if you compare this with something that captures 99.x% of something stupidly fine and even closer to 100% of the visible stuff I wonder if the home brew jobs are as good.

I guess you have to balance the risks against the somewhat massive cost of the onida etc units.

I am still considering the purchase of an Onida unit - it will not be within the next 6 months as I'm too poor and don't really do enough work in the garage at the moment however I (and more importantly the Chied Accountant agrees) that the vacume unit is a safety critical system and therefore can have some serious cash spent on it if necessary.

Miles

Mike Garnham":1kfdq3cl said:
miles_hot":1kfdq3cl said:
I note that Mike reported that "the cyclone sucked up everything I threw at it whilst the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust"
Miles
Miles,
I can't find where I said that.......and I know I wouldn't have said that because there is no chip collector, and because nothing throws up any fine dust.
Mike

Mike & Miles - Just to clear things up, it was me that mentioned that the chip collector only spat out a small amount of fine dust in the thread I started about my home made cyclone :D

Miles - I agree totally with Mike regarding how maginally less effective a home made cyclone (or drop/capture box) is compared with an expensive factory produced moulded plastic or steel one and how dangerous this can be for the environment in the workshop. I really makes no difference to the environment how much fine dust gets past the cyclone since it will be caught by the vacuum's filter anyway. The whole point with these capture devices is to reduce the amount of time between filter cleaning and increase the size of the waste box/drum compared with those supplied as part of the vacuum unit - typically 36 - 200 liters.
An inherent problem with all vacuum dust extractors is that the amount of available suck reduces drastically as the filter becomes blocked. If you can reduce the amount of time it takes for the filter to block then you have the maximum amount of extraction power available for longer.
Another advantage of a capture device is that you can build the waste box/drum as big as you like/need/have space for and therefore only need to buy a vacuum unit with a very small waste drum, thus saving money.
For example; a Camvac CGV286-4 with 36l drum and 2 motors costs £230, whilst a Camvac CG486-5 with 200l drum and the same 2 motors costs £470. In reality you're paying £240 for the extra 164 litres waste capacity, and that's a hell of a lot of home made cyclone or drop box. :shock: :D

Mark

Krysstel":293vwrj3 said:
Another advantage of a capture device is that you can build the waste box/drum as big as you like/need/have space for and therefore only need to buy a vacuum unit with a very small waste drum, thus saving money.
For example; a Camvac CGV286-4 with 36l drum and 2 motors costs £230, whilst a Camvac CG486-5 with 200l drum and the same 2 motors costs £470. In reality you're paying £240 for the extra 164 litres waste capacity, and that's a hell of a lot of home made cyclone or drop box. :shock: :D

Mark
I've got the C386 with twin motors and 90L drum. I'm toying with the idea of making a 'Magic Mikebox' using the Camvac for the sucking power. What I want to do is to have the unit as the core of an extraction system for all machines in the 'shop including the p/t...table saw may well run off a dedicated vac extractor as it does now (or even with it's own separate drop box :idea:) I'd like to have clear acrylic fronts though so I can see the box filling up - Rob

I've got the C386 with twin motors and 90L drum. I'm toying with the idea of making a 'Magic Mikebox' using the Camvac for the sucking power. What I want to do is to have the unit as the core of an extraction system for all machines in the 'shop including the p/t...table saw may well run off a dedicated vac extractor as it does now (or even with it's own separate drop box :idea:) I'd like to have clear acrylic fronts though so I can see the box filling up - Rob

Rob
All you need is the Camvac Clear Interceptor Lid
CVa400-50-118 on a plastic bin of some sort doubles or triples your capacity stops the filter cloging because very little dust or chips get though to the sucky bit easy to empty just lift the lid off and empty the plastic bin .
I have one and have not emptyied the bag on my extractor in the last year so easy and simple also cheap at £30.00.
The lid sucks itself on to the plastic bin like a limpet so no loss of suction also put the extractor out side the workshop and all that nasty dust is gone .
Best thing I have bought for 30 quid for a long time

9fingers":nxtl836m said:
I've still got an 'Ikea flowerpot' cone spare if anyone is into cyclone building.

Collect from Romsey for a small beer voucher and view the Burgess Prototype in action if you wish.

Bob

clip here http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313 ... i_0217.flv

Interesting video. Thanks.
What's the design of the silencer, as I could really do with a better one on my noisy Camvac?

Duncan

duncanh":3jz8zgrh said:
9fingers":3jz8zgrh said:
I've still got an 'Ikea flowerpot' cone spare if anyone is into cyclone building.

Collect from Romsey for a small beer voucher and view the Burgess Prototype in action if you wish.

Bob

clip here http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313 ... i_0217.flv

Interesting video. Thanks.
What's the design of the silencer, as I could really do with a better one on my noisy Camvac?

Duncan

Not sure if the Camvac can be silenced? I could be wrong but I think the noise comes from using universal motors and a vacuum cleaner type fan.

The silencer is based on the Pentz design. I'm not sure if the late Barry Burgess who made mine documented it in any detail. All his postings are still on the forum and last time I looked all his photos links were still live.

Bob

9fingers":3ihdzkpf said:
Not sure if the Camvac can be silenced? I could be wrong but I think the noise comes from using universal motors and a vacuum cleaner type fan.

Bob

I am sure that one of this months woodworking magazines had a comment that if you attach a long hose to the top of the output port then you can funnel the noise away behind stuff (or out the window).

frugal":1n1ymxqy said:
I am sure that one of this months woodworking magazines had a comment that if you attach a long hose to the top of the output port then you can funnel the noise away behind stuff (or out the window).

Yes, I think that was part of woodbloke's review of the Camvac in F&C. :wink:

It is in the instruction manual IIRC, not that I've got around to it

How does the concept work? I have the Record RSDE2 and it squeals like a stuck pig. I'd love to add some sort of silencer.

On the camvac, you take off the protector caps which sit on the stubby out-take pipes, and then attach pipes over the stubs and port them somewhere else

yebbut, where to those ports go? Into the dust bin or just to the motor? The record does not have those ports.

Back