One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice,Jenx - lovely shape,lovely finish,just enough detail to highlight without overpowering :D

Andrew

Never got to do any turning at all last weekend,mainly due to spending most of Saturday making and fitting a Delft rack (posh shelf :lol: ) for a local pub :-

Picture245Small.jpg

That's just one corner - there was over 15 metres of it.. :shock:

So after spending yesterday afternoon boxing in the pubs electric meters,and this morning trimming and re-hanging doors,finally made it into the workshop this afternoon.

Made some coasters,as requested by the wife of my main timber supplier :-

Picture165Small-1.jpg

Sycamore,100mm diameter,finished with melamine lacquer.

Underneath is a small foot,slightly dished,and covered in self-adhesive felt :-

Picture169Small-1.jpg

And something from the last lot of timber from another supplier,to swap for fresh stock :-

Picture171Small-1.jpg

Picture172Small-1.jpg

Picture173Small-1.jpg

Sweet chestnut,120mm diameter,120mm high,finished in lemon oil.Shape inspired by an ice-cream sundae dish.

Andrew

That's a quirky piece of chestnut Andrew... still trying to make me mind up as to whether I like it or not.....

...but I do appreciate it.... it's out of the ordinary!

Working all weekend in a pub... guess someone has to do it :wink:

oldsoke":3ctvwi9r said:
That's a quirky piece of chestnut .......Working all weekend in a pub... .......

Guess that accounts for the wobbly edge. :lol:

Quite a challenge there Andrew, I suspect it moved around quite a bit as you progressed.

Lovely grain and figure in the wood there Andrew. Is it as thin as it looks? Not sure about the shape etc but then who am I to critisize looking at some of the stuff I produce. :lol:

As Chas sayss reckon you had your work cut out doing that one

Pete

The chestnut cuts quite nicely,hollowed the bowl part out quite easily with a ring tool to quite a decent finish;its not fully dried (felled about 18 months ago),but at least the tannin content has reduced enough so that the shavings no longer turn the lathe bed black in a small number of minutes :(

oldsoke":3gf3mhwp said:
Working all weekend in a pub... guess someone has to do it :wink:

The other bright side to it is that I have been offered display space for free.. :D

Andrew

Hi Andrew ... I like the bowl.... this is perhaps a strange analogy to draw, especially if one has never seen it... but you see the 'shimmery' bit just above the spalting line on the bowl part ? .. well that reminds me of exactly what the Northern Lights* looked like, last time I saw them !... immediately made me think of that !

*( .. the Aurora Borealis.. reflections off the polar ice cap.. )

Strange how wood's markings can remind you of the oddest things !

I like it !

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink:

This weeks strange request - gunpowder barrels and a cannon,to go with the 17 foot long pirate ship my mate is building for his sons third birthday next weekend.

Firstly,needed something bigger than my existing four-prong drive,so shamelessly copying from Tracy Owen,bought a 4" faceplate off e-bay..

Picture177Small.jpg

..and added some countersunk-head stainless machine screws,ground to a point,and fastened with nuts and spring washers..

Picture178Small.jpg

..then off to the woodpile to find a suitable log or two..

Picture182Small.jpg

..and get it mounted on the lathe..

Picture175Small.jpg

Finished article :-

Picture180Small.jpg

This one is sycamore,265mm long,195mm diameter,no finish as it's going to be painted black and the bands picked out in metallic silver.

Also made one in birch,and a cannon barrel out of pine (which,ironically enough,turned out to be from the tree that was cut down to make space for the pirate ship) - but forgot to take any pictures before I dropped them off :oops:

Andrew

Well done Andrew, what a pleasure it is to get a commission to create something specific.

The satisfaction of knowing you have contributed to the many hours of fun that project is going to generate for some years to come is priceless.

Glad to see that you are been kept busy Andrew doing what you enjoy.
Love the Sweet Chestnut goblet,and there should be plenty of turny items for the pirate ship which will no doubt take a bashing:D

17 foot! WOW :shock:

Would love to see the ship when finished Andrew. Great idea for the barrels, interesting to see what you get asked to do.

Cool idea on the faceplate too.

Shaun

Managed a bit of time in the workshop this morning,and made these before I decided that 26C was a little too warm..

Picture187Small.jpg

Cherry,65mm diameter,150mm high,finished in food-safe oil.

Picture189Small.jpg

Sycamore,70mm diameter,225mm high,waxed.

Andrew

The grain on the cherry is really dramatic, looks 3D. Both nice pieces, nice to see shapes other than the normal goblets as well

Pete

Thanks for the comments - as for the cherry,bought it kiln-dried,and has been sat around in the house for months,so been very stable (unlike some that is sat out on the drying racks,that is splitting like it is going out-of-fashion :( )

Andrew

Finaly managed some playtime in the workshop,as I somehow managed to get an afternoon with no jobs to do for other people :D

I know I need lots more practice at spindle turning and hollowing,so combined the two :-

Picture193Small-1.jpg

Picture194Small-1.jpg

Sycamore,85mm diameter,185mm high,inside finished in ebonizing lacquer,outside finished in friction polish.
Shape inspired by some of Petes poppy-head style turnings (don't waste your time sueing me,Pete,I'm worth nothing :wink: )

And a quick bit of faceplate work :-

Picture196Small-1.jpg

Oak,160mm square,25mm high,waxed.

Back to work at the pub tomorrow - it's tough,but someone has to do it.. :whistle:

Andrew

Like the rim detail on the Goblets Andrew, is the external colour the result of the polish pigments? looks rather dark in the pictures.

Back