One to ponder.....please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Customer wants a coffee table with glass insert, under the glass they want some kind of "soft lighting, like x-ray boxes perhaps".

Problem is you can't have a trailing cable across the oak floor which they don't want lifted and there is an expensive rug under the table.

Any ideas?????

Dom

Another vote here for Led's and batts - seems to be the most practical approach, and will even allow for easy change of led's if they wish to change the colour

How about flat power cables laid under the rug. You can get flat cabling designed to have minimal impact on its environment - though not cheap.

Cheers Mike

But the cables then have to get under the rug in the first place without trailing on the floor, and then up through the expensive rug to get power to the table!

Jake":23x979st said:
But the cables then have to get under the rug in the first place without trailing on the floor, and then up through the expensive rug to get power to the table!

Ahh foiled again :)

How about inductive coupling? A large coil attached to the mains under the floor and a coil in the table oriented in the same direction as the first. Of course it might be a little rough on a pacemaker if a guest was so equipped but it would be pretty cool. 8)

Is a ceiling drop for the power out of the question?

:idea: Honda generator built into the table? They are pretty quiet these days. :roll:

How bright is the room during the day? Perhaps some sort of solar voltaic cells to recharge the batteries and LEDs to supply the light in the evening.

How about they get an inexpensive copy of the rug with a strategically placed hole in it? Actually you don't want to run power wires beneath a rug. If the insulation gets damaged they might end up with illumination of an undesired variety. :shock:

Dave R":qmggk70m said:
How bright is the room during the day? Perhaps some sort of solar voltaic cells to recharge the batteries and LEDs to supply the light in the evening.
A coffee table with a solar panel top that would be cool! He said in uber geek mode. :)
Now where can I find a solar panel, might have to look into that...

mr":1da4bpi2 said:
Dave R":1da4bpi2 said:
A coffee table with a solar panel top that would be cool! He said in uber geek mode. :)
Now where can I find a solar panel, might have to look into that...

Try maplin.

Brad

If you start using mains electric for this furniture , how do the new regs come into consideration ?

koolwabbit

If you mean Part P,then it depends how you do it - it only applies to fixed wiring (so if you make furniture that is connected by a suitable cable/flex to a correctly installed and rated circuit,then no problem)

Andrew

PowerTool":pws6zm5q said:
If you mean Part P, then it depends how you do it - it only applies to fixed wiring (so if you make furniture that is connected by a suitable cable/flex to a correctly installed and rated circuit,then no problem)
Yes, but then there are other standards to consider. CE-marking and all that, even 12v DC stuff comes under something called the "Low Voltage Directive"...... :roll:

My understanding is that electrical wiring in any item made for resale has to be compliant (i.e. checked, certified and documented by a competent electrical engineer or electrician) or supplied as a complete sealed unit with a moulded-on plug already CE-marked to ensure that your product liability insurance covers you. I was making batches of PoS stands for a while and in the end it was cheaper and easier to deliver the stands to the customer unwired and let him do his own electrical installations rather than to do all the wiring and supporting paperwork in-house.

Scrit

Hi dom
read the thread with great interest.

depending where it stands. how about an arrangement with mirrors with the light source beaming from a side wall.( progector style) into the lower
side/back.
norman

I don't see why you (Dom) are being quite so dismissive about battery powered LEDs, but it's your call, I guess.

I'm off to take some more drugs.

dom, we are here to help , and we are trying
some good suggestions have been made and some problems highlighted

dave r

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about inductive coupling? A large coil attached to the mains under the floor and a coil in the table oriented in the same direction as the first. Of course it might be a little rough on a pacemaker if a guest was so equipped but it would be pretty cool.

Is a ceiling drop for the power out of the question?

Honda generator built into the table? They are pretty quiet these days.

How about they get an inexpensive copy of the rug with a strategically placed hole in it? Actually you don't want to run power wires beneath a rug. If the insulation gets damaged they might end up with illumination of an undesired variety.

its threads like these that make the forum such an interesting read :roll:

Sorry Dom. I'll try to refrain from offering any ideas for your questions in the future. Yes some of my suggestions were offered tonque-in-cheek but I was serious about the rechargeable batteries and LEDs. I was also somewhat serious about the inductive coupling. I doubt it would give someone's pacemaker a fit.

Hope you solve your puzzle. I'm off to have a beer. I've had enough drugs for one day. ;)

Back